[Libs-Or] does Oregon need reference librarians?

Steve Silver ssilver at nwcu.edu
Mon Oct 8 14:48:12 PDT 2012

Sorry to be late to the discussion (been out sick), but wanted to add my 2 cents:

As someone who has never been a reference librarian, I'm extremely grateful I had some foundation in basic reference services and theory in my Emporia (Portland) Library School classes. I never had the opportunity or need to learn reference "on the job," but still find that I am often providing reference services, both virtually and in person. Without that classwork I would be even less effective than I'm sure I am now at this critical library service. Furthermore, as a library director, I need some sense of what to expect from a reference librarian to be effective at supervising and evaluating.

Reference is changing in scope and nature, and library school courses should adapt and evolve to meet the changing needs. My concern about making reference part of another course, even if a significant part, is it then becomes much easier for the content to be whittled away over time to become a small percentage or even disappear altogether. Although, like Caleb, I cannot imagine what I would cut out to keep a MLS program to a reasonable number of credit hours as there is so much that librarians today need to know.

[cid:image011.png at 01CDA563.F0DA8310]
Steve Silver
Library Director
541-684-7237