[Libs-Or] Wifi Activities that violate copyright

Sylvia Lee sylvial at wccls.org
Wed Apr 10 11:23:30 PDT 2013

Hi BJ,
Washington County Cooperative Library Services provides a wireless network at almost all of our public libraries.  We also belong to a regional public communication network which acts as the ISP for many cities and agencies in the region.  Our ISP has received notices of copyright infringement related to downloads using the wireless network and has sent them to us.  We consulted with our County Counsel and we use the Terms and Conditions below on the log-in page:
Terms of Use of Wireless Internet Connections
Regardless of Wi-Fi source, wireless Internet users on library premises must:
*           Comply with the library public computer/internet policy ,
*           Stop viewing a site if staff determines that the site may create a hostile environment for staff or patrons,
*           Not access sites that are inappropriate for minors if there is a reasonable possibility that the sites may be visible to minors,
*           Not view, print, upload, download or otherwise access material unlawfully,
*           Conduct only lawful activity,
*           Use sound muffling headphones or mute sound to avoid disturbing others.
Copyright Warning:  Use of this connection in violation of U.S. copyright law is prohibited. The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of a copyrighted work, including infringement without monetary gain, may constitute a crime punishable by up to 5 years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000.
Access to the WCCLS Wireless Internet Connection is a privilege.  Permission to access may be denied at any time solely at the discretion of WCCLS.
You must accept these Terms of Use to obtain permission to access the WCCLS Wireless Internet Connection.
REFUSE (default)                           ACCEPT
We do not keep logs of the IP addresses assigned to patrons on the wireless networks though patrons do have to authenticate to use the network.  We manage network traffic (bandwidth) but we not track the type of usage (ex. downloading).
I hope this helps and I would be interested in any other replies.
Sylvia

Sylvia Lee
Library Automation Systems Supervisor
Washington County Cooperative Library