[Libs-Or] Call for ideas: 2015 Teen CSLP Manual

Abbie Anderson aanderson at cclsd.org
Wed Aug 14 12:03:46 PDT 2013

Dear Everyone who ever sees a teen in the library or in their community
in the summer:

Please pardon cross-posting.

The time has come to put our outstanding minds together to contribute
ideas for the 2015 Teen Summer Library Program Manual. The theme:
Heroes. The slogan for teens: "Unmask!" The deadline: November 15. As
your OYAN CSLP Liaison, I'll send another reminder as we get closer to
November.

Library staff around the country and beyond will turn to your ideas as
they put together their own summer programs for teens. See below for
types of categories and examples from CSLP headquarters.

At the Spring CSLP meeting, the 2015 Teen Slogan break-out session
featured a great deal of discussion about anti-heroes and the appeal of
villains, the idea of having superpowers or a secret identity and what
that feels like as a teen, and various definitions of heroes--from the
Marvel/DC end of the spectrum, to heroic characters like Katnis Everdeen
and Ender Wiggin, to everyday local heroes.

"Runner-up" slogan choices will become chapter headings in the manual,
including "Power Up...READ!", "Reading Is My Superpower", "Unleash Your
Powers", "Novel Avengers", "The Hero Within", and "Begin the Quest".

I know we'll make it a great manual. I can't wait to see all the ideas
that emerge in the final edition!

--Abbie Anderson
OYAN CSLP Liaison
Assistant Director, North Bend Public Library

And now: the official call for ideas:

*Unmask!*

**

*Call for Ideas*

*2015 Teen Summer Library Program*

*Theme:  Heroes*

*Slogan: Unmask!*

*Deadline:  November 15, 2013*

**

Below you'll find some programming ideas suggested at the Spring CSLP
meeting including: Heroes-contemporary, romantic, historical,
mythological, etc.; Superheroes-what makes one? Writing about, creating
a superhero, comic, etc.; Villains-in literature, in history, in film;
Talent---hidden talents, unmasking your talents, finding, demonstrating
your talents, etc. Please send other ideas (or expand on those below) by
November 15, 2013 to:

Patti Sinclair

trishsinclair at sbcglobal.net <mailto:trishsinclair at sbcglobal.net>

or

306 Virginia Terrace

Madison, WI  53726

608 231-2467

*Display/Passive Programming Ideas*

We're looking for *more passive programming ideas and reproducibles* to
hand out!! Quizzes, crosswords, games, etc.

"Desert Island Death Match." Pit a variety of villains

Cover pictures with pieces of Black paper like advent calendar, slowly
uncover part of picture

Guess Who?  Photos of famous people but photoshop them to mask them

*Outreach*

·Suggestions on how to work with teens from small libraries

·More ideas on how to attract teens*not *coming to library.

*Programming ideas:  please expand on or add to:*

·Be a hero chapter with programs on babysitting, etc.

·Text to screen.  Show movie and text

·Hobbit party; Live action role play---larping

·Scavenger Hunt to highlight collections, e.g. graphic novels, specific
books, parts of library or community, e.g. meet community heroes

·Movie series with role models

·Teens/teen advisory board put on puppet show for younger kids

·Unmask!  Drama, theatre theme

·Villains/ anti-heroes/fallen heroes/what makes a hero?

·Teen writing group

·Superhero showdown a mini comicon/ superhero program

·Obstacle course

·Design your own comic

·Old mystery science theater. 3K

·Highlight your hidden talent/ Hidden Talent Show

·Guitar hero program

·Princess Bride movies

·Best Ink. Art project hidden identity. Traditional painting over a
black light painting. The second painting only shows under black light
Kat from VT

·Greek mythology

·Mask making workshop

·Phantom of the Opera

·Mardi Gras, masks

·Face off. Special effects TV show makeup that shows up only under black
light

·Rock heroes?

·Corks and Canvases. Everyone learns how to paint one particular painting

·Reading Classics.  Romantic Heroes, e.g. Heathcliff

·Larger scale program. A masked Ball;. Old prom dresses masquerade ball

·Champions

·Historical heroes:  civil rights, etc. /Lions of Little Rock/  by
Kristin Levine. Putnam, 2012. 304 p. Gr. 5-8); /Warriors Don't Cry: A
Searing Memoir of the Battle to Integrate Little Rock's Central High [
/by Melba Pattilo Beals  Simon Pulse, 2007. 240 p.

Elizabeth Rafferty

Baltimore County Public Library

6105 Kenwood Ave.

Rosedale, MD 21237