[Libs-Or] options for public computing

Buzzy Nielsen buzzy at hoodriverlibrary.org
Sat Jan 12 18:19:43 PST 2013

I can't speak to the limitation of the online-only apps (personally, I
detest Google docs), but I can say that you don't necessarily have to
abandon reservation software. ChromeOS is a Linux distribution, and
Libki ( http://libki.org/) is a PC reservation application that's
compatible with Linux. It may take a bit of work, but I'd imagine that
it could also work on ChromeOS. Since the OS primarily runs through a
web browser, you might also check the Chrome Web Store to see if they
have any apps/extensions for public-oriented computers. We use Firefox
on our Linux-based public computers, and there's have a handy extension
called Public Fox (
https://addons.mozilla.org/EN-us/firefox/addon/public-fox/), for
instance. Chrome may have something similar.

Cheers!
Buzzy

Library Director
Hood River County Library District