[Libs-Or] Ludington wins Answerland Quality Award

Barbara O'Neill barbarao at wccls.org
Fri Jun 14 11:14:05 PDT 2013

Answerland, Oregon's Statewide Virtual Reference Service (http://www.answerland.org/), recognizes Sue Ludington at Washington County Law Library for her excellent virtual reference work while staffing Answerland in March 2013. Sue's transcript is online at

www.answerland.org/awards

In this transcript Sue answers an email question from a student who is researching a wrongful death suit for a term paper assignment.

Sue provides information from PACER (www.pacer.gov), the federal government's public access service to court documents.  She found the case number, date, and the outcome (the case was ultimately dismissed) and sent the full judgment to the student.  The student sent a reply asking if there was a way to access all the court documents of the case.  The student also asked if there were any subsequent lawsuits.

Sue replied with information on how to access the documents for free and an explanation of how to download documents.  She also gave an explanation of how to search PACER for any lawsuits that might still be pending.  In addition, OJIN (Oregon Judicial Information Network) might have additional information and Sue provided information on how to search that resource.

Sue encouraged the student to reply if additional help was needed and even gave her phone number in case the student wanted to speak with her.

The student did reply with one last email saying: "You have been a huge help. Thank God for people like you willing to go that extra mile for students like me!  Thanks so much once again. I really appreciate you."

The Quality Team appreciates Sue too!  We're impressed with Sue's friendly tone, her knowledge of legal resources and her teaching skills.

We're grateful to all the law librarians who answer questions for Answerland, providing information that most Oregon libraries cannot easily access.

As an expression of our appreciation, Sue was presented with flowers and a certificate. Please join us in congratulating her!

~The L-net Quality Team
Stephanie Debner, Mt. Hood Community College Library
Stephanie.Debner at mhcc.edu<mailto:Stephanie.Debner at mhcc.edu>

Barbara O'Neill, Washington County Cooperative Library Services
barbarao at wccls.org<mailto:barbarao at wccls.org>

Emily Papagni, Multnomah County Library
emilyp at multco.us<mailto:emilyp at multco.us>