[Libs-Or] Copyright question -- recordings of people reading aloud

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Tue Nov 19 11:10:11 PST 2013

Thanks, everyone, for your help -- and especially to Caleb for the great link!

I've passed this information on, and we're now talking about doing public domain poetry and stories instead.

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney
Library Director
Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101, #201
Lincoln City, OR 97367
541-996-1251 (desk)
541-921-5620 (cell)
541-996-1262 (fax)
www.driftwoodlib.org
>>> Caleb TUCKER-RAYMOND <calebt at multco.us> 11/18/2013 8:49 PM >>>
Hi,

LibriVox is a site that does just this, with public domain works.

Their forum has a topic on copyright that confirms your suspicion:

What does "Public Domain" mean?
Copyright gives an individual or corporation exclusive rights on a text, for a limited period of time. This means no one else can reproduce the text, or make derivative works (such as audio recordings) while the copyright is in force. Eventually, though, copyright expires, and the text enters the 'public domain.' Meaning anyone can use that text however they wish..

https://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=881

You sometimes hear about library programs where an incarcerated or deployed parent is videorecorded reading to a child, but as far as I know these are not shared publicly online.

Caleb Tucker-Raymond

Statewide Reference Service Coordinator
Multnomah County Library
(503) 988-5438