[Libs-Or] Copyright question -- recordings of people reading aloud

Dawn Prochovnic dawnp at smalltalklearning.com
Tue Nov 19 12:38:27 PST 2013

I wanted to chime in on the discussion about taping works read aloud, particularly if it involves parents reading children's literature to their children. Some (smaller?) publishers might welcome this sort of attention being placed on their books and might permit the use with proper credit (and likewise, many authors/illustrators would enjoy the attention placed upon their books).

It would obviously be a hassle for the library to secure these permissions from each publisher, but if there were certain works from SCBWI-Oregon member authors and/or illustrators that were of interest for this project, I would be happy to reach out to those authors (to see if in turn they would reach out to their publishers) to secure the necessary rights. If, for example, I approached my publisher, ABDO Publishing Group, about this project, it would be my hope that they would grant permission for more than just my titles in your collection.

Please let me know if I can be a resource. This would be a very logical fit for my (volunteer) role as the Library Liaison for the Oregon chapter of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI-OR).

Warm wishes,
Dawn

Dawn Prochovnic, MA
SCBWI-Oregon Library Liaison
Author, Story Time with Signs & Rhymes Series
Magic Wagon/ABDO Publishing Group

dawnp at smalltalklearning.com
www.smalltalklearning.com
dawnprochovnic.blogspot.com
Facebook: Dawn Babb Prochovnic
503.223.5622

On Nov 19, 2013, at 12:00 PM, libs-or-request at listsmart.osl.state.or.us wrote:

> [...]
> 	reading	aloud
>
> Hi,
>
> LibriVox is a site that does just this, with public domain works.
>
> Their forum has a topic on copyright that confirms your suspicion:
>
> *What does "Public Domain" mean? *
> Copyright gives an individual or corporation exclusive rights on a text,
> for a limited period of time. This means no one else can reproduce the
> text, or make derivative works (such as audio recordings) while the
> copyright is in force. Eventually, though, copyright expires, and the text
> enters the 'public domain.' Meaning anyone can use that text however they
> wish.
>
> https://forum.librivox.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=881
>
> You sometimes hear about library programs where an incarcerated or deployed
> parent is videorecorded reading to a child, but as far as I know these are
> not shared publicly online.
>

> Caleb Tucker-Raymond
>
> Statewide Reference Service Coordinator
> Multnomah County Library
> (503) 988-5438
> calebt at multco.us
> www.answerland.org
>

> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 18:26:34 +0000
> From: "Katie Anderson" <katie.anderson at state.or.us>
> To: Caleb TUCKER-RAYMOND <calebt at multco.us>, Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney
> 	<kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org>
> Cc: "libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us"
> 	<libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us>
> Subject: Re: [Libs-Or] Copyright question -- recordings of people
> 	reading	aloud

> If the book, story, or poem is read in full and posted online for public consumption, then it is likely a violation of copyright. You may use books and stories in the public domain as Caleb suggests. You may consider reading parts of the book, story, or poem or transforming the whole books, story, or poem into something new (e.g. adapting the text to create your own puppet show based on the original item).
>
> Here is good information about copyright: http://www.copyright.gov/
>
> Here is a good fair use checklist from Cornell University: http://copyright.cornell.edu/policies/docs/Fair_Use_Checklist.pdf
>

> Katie Anderson, Library Development Services
> * Youth Services Consultant * Oregon Center for the Book Coordinator *
> Oregon State Library, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR 97301
> katie.anderson at state.or.us<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us>, 503-378-2528
>

> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 11:10:11 -0800
> From: "Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney" <kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org>
> Cc: "libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us"
> 	<libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us>
> Subject: Re: [Libs-Or] Copyright question -- recordings of people
> 	reading aloud
>
> Thanks, everyone, for your help -- and especially to Caleb for the great link!
>
> I've passed this information on, and we're now talking about doing public domain poetry and stories instead.

Dawn Prochovnic, MA

dawnp at smalltalklearning.com
www.smalltalklearning.com