[Libs-Or] Answerland training in Portland

Emily PAPAGNI emilyp at multco.us
Sun Nov 24 18:48:57 PST 2013

Hello,

Introductory training on Answerland, Oregon's Statewide Virtual Reference
Service (http://www.answerland.org), is scheduled for:

Wednesday, December 11, 9:00 - 4:00

PCC Sylvania Campus Library, Room 212

12000 Southwest 49th Avenue
Portland, OR 97219-7132
Registration for this training will close on Wednesday, December 4.

This training is for librarians who plan to take shifts staffing Answerland's
chat, e-mail, and texting service. Librarians will receive hands-on training
 with Answerland's software and instruction on techniques for communicating
effectively online with patrons and providing reference service online.

There are two ways to staff Answerland:

1 - Partner libraries: Reference staff at Oregon libraries may staff the
service as partner libraries. Librarians who do so staff the service at
their libraries.

2 - Volunteers: If you've completed a Reference class in the past 10 years
from an ALA-accredited college or university or if you have experience
providing reference services in a library, you may apply to be a volunteer.
Volunteers typically staff the service from home computers. If you would
like to participate in the volunteer program, contact me for information
about how to apply to be a volunteer.

The training is free, but space is limited and advance registration is
required. If you would like to attend, contact me and let me know if you
would like to staff Answerland at a partner library or as a volunteer and
which training date you would like to register for.

If you're interested in the training, but unable to attend on these dates,
please contact me. I'm continuing to schedule additional trainings around
the state, including a training at the coast in the near future.

Emily

Emily Papagni
Answerland Support Librarian
Multnomah County Library