[Libs-Or] Upcoming Events on Northwest Central

Gina Bacon gina.bacon at pcc.edu
Fri Sep 20 11:30:13 PDT 2013

*[image: Inline image 1]
Northwest Central invites you to check out some of the upcoming continuing
education webinars and events happening this September!*

*09/18/13 Emotional Intelligence in Your Workplace (part 1 of
3)<http://www.nwcentral.org/emotional-intelligence-your-workplace-part-1-3>
*
Emotional Intelligence – maybe you’ve heard the term, but what in the world
does it mean? The short answer is simply being intelligent about emotions –
yours and others’. The longer – and much more interesting – answer will
fascinate you. In the first session of this 3-part series, we’ll discuss
the idea of Emotional Intelligence and why interest in the field is
increasing. We’ll delve into how our behavioral styles can affect our
levels of emotional intelligence.
*
FREE!* 0*9/24/13** Leaving Fort Ref: Frontiers of Embedded
Librarianship<http://www.nwcentral.org/leaving-fort-ref-frontiers-embedded-librarianship>
*
At the innovative Douglas County (Colo.) Libraries, librarians don’t just
wait for the questions to come to them. They leave the building and embed
the public library in the community. Through a series of projects and
experiments, the Douglas County librarians have explored a new dimension of
modern reference service, one that places their expertise at points of need
to respond to the questions the public *didn’t* take to the library. By
helping to define and answer questions in context, the embedded librarians
add value to their community.
*
FREE! 09/25/13 QA Webinar: Crowd Source
Testing<http://www.nwcentral.org/qa-webinar-crowd-source-testing>
*
Crowdsourcing has become widely acknowledged as a productivity solution
across numerous industries. However, for companies incorporating
crowdsourcing into existing business practices, specific issues must be
addressed: What problem are we trying to solve? How do we control the
process? How do we incentivize people to achieve our goals? Ultimately, the
key to successfully employing a crowdsourcing model is to move beyond the
realm of the "mob" to create an engaged, interactive community of diverse
and skilled professionals. In the world of quality assurance, crowdsourcing
has the potential to effectively solve emerging challenges and take your
testing to new heights. Using real-world examples, uTest's John
Montgomery<http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnlmontgomery>
* *explains how you can leverage the crowd to complement your internal
systems, ensure systems work as intended under real-world conditions and
effectively manage the scalability of efforts.
*
FREE! **09/27/13 Sing With Our Kids <http://www.nwcentral.org/sing-our-kids>
*
Based on Nancy Stewart's two-year Sing With Our Kids pilot project for
early learning through community singing; Nancy will model how to use songs
and singing to create community, promote early literacy, and incorporate
technology responsibly.
**

www.nwcentral.org

**