[Libs-Or] policies for outside the library

Valerie Hauser vhauser at ccrls.org
Sat Aug 23 15:35:01 PDT 2014

We don't have a formal policy, but I'll be interested in the results from
your inquiry.

We're a small rural library located in a historic home with lawn and shrubs
all around the library. About 2 weeks ago, we discovered that some people
had set up shop under a tree with a grapevine growing on it so that the
area was almost completely hidden. They had even hauled in a mattress to be
comfy. I phoned City Hall and our Marion County deputy. Along with Public
Works, they uncovered a purse with 18 syringes, a few small packets of
drugs, and a utility knife blade. I found another blade in our gazebo.
Everything was immediately dragged out, disposed of, the grapevine was cut
back, and the tree limbs were cut up about 7 feet. We never saw the
entrepreneurs/users, but I'm sure they weren't too happy to come back and
see that their cozy drug den was no more.

Occasionally, I find people sleeping in our gazebo, so again I call City
Hall and the deputy. They waste no time dealing with it.

Valerie Hauser, Director
Jefferson Public Library