[Libs-Or] Answerland notable transcript award

Emily PAPAGNI emilyp at multco.us
Thu Aug 28 11:42:43 PDT 2014

Hello,

Answerland, Oregon's Statewide Virtual Reference service (
http://www.answerland.org), recognizes Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney of Driftwood
Public Library for her excellent virtual reference work while staffing the
service in March 2014. Kirsten’s transcript is online at

www.answerland.org/awards

The patron submitted a chat question, asking, “My book group is focusing on
Mexico this year. Do you have any recommendations for an adult book on the
Mexican revolution (non-fiction)?” Kirsten was immediately friendly and
expressed enthusiasm saying “What an interesting topic!” and offered to
search for an answer. However, the patron needed to log out after just a
minute and asked that an answer be sent by email instead of through chat.

Kirsten researched the question and found a wide variety of books on the
topic which she sent to the patron later the same day. The suggestions
include several engaging books about the revolution as well as a book about
women of the Mexican Revolution. Kirsten consulted authoritative resources
and shared book reviews to annotate her suggestions.

We appreciate Kirsten’s eagerness to help the patron from the beginning of
the chat conversation through her completion of the email answer. We’re
guessing that one of these books led to a good read for the book group and
a lively discussion for the group members.

The Quality Team is impressed with Kirsten’s friendly tone, readers’
advisory skills, and use of authoritative resources.

As an expression of our appreciation, Kirsten was presented with flowers
and a certificate. Please join us in congratulating her!

The Answerland Quality Team

Stephanie Debner, Mt. Hood Community College (stephanie.debner at mhcc.edu)

Joanna Milner, Multnomah County Library (joannam at multcolib.org)

Hillary Ostlund, Hillsboro Public Library (
Hillary.Ostlund at hillsboro-oregon.gov)

Emily Papagni, Multnomah County Library (emilyp at multco.us)