[Libs-Or] Fwd: [alacro-l] Library programming, its impact, and its future

Jane Corry janec at multcolib.org
Tue Dec 9 13:01:27 PST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Don Wood <dwood at ala.org>
Date: Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Subject: [alacro-l] Library programming, its impact, and its future
To: "alacro-l at lists.ala.org" <alacro-l at lists.ala.org>

Click here
<http://osixy1.com/p/?__p=_4633-4/1SVMLWVUW-1/Message_Body.htm&_olinkid_=55727060-f112-4190-a341-8372f9b75cd5&_bcx_ins_1=Sarah&_bcx_ins_10=&_bcx_ins_40=&_bcx_ins_41=180883&_bcx_ins_9=>
to view this email as a web page

Dear library professionals, partners, and friends,

Library programming fosters lifelong learning and brings communities
together.

At least, we think it does.

As library professionals, we see the impacts of programming every day.  But
without sufficient data, how can we quantify the effects of this growing
area of library service? Without in-depth study of field, how can we build
upon one another's good work?

*For the past year, the American Library Association's Public Programs
Office has been working with a team of advisors on a first-of-its-kind
research initiative: the National Impact of Library Public Programs
Assessment (NILPPA)
<http://osixy1.com/p/?_4633-4/1SVMLWVUW-4/_1._ct&_olinkid_=627d0cae-da0e-4b85-8d1f-0bbed10cb9a4>.
We
are writing today to request your feedback on this work.*

Funded by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), NILPPA seeks
to understand the characteristics, audiences, outcomes, and impacts of
library programming. The project seeks to answer many questions, including:

   - What counts as "success" in library programming?
   - What impact does programming have on participants and communities?
   - What skills must programming librarians hone to maximize impact and
   reach underserved communities?

With our first year of NILPPA funding, ALA and our research partners
analyzed data and interviewed dozens of librarians. The result is a white
paper summarizing the status, concerns, and opportunities in library
programming.

We hope to obtain funding to continue this research in far greater depth;
this white paper, coupled with your feedback, will form the basis for our
next steps.

*Please take a few moments to peruse NILPPA's initial findings
<http://osixy1.com/p/?_4633-4/1SVMLWVUW-4/_1._ct&_olinkid_=999a0dc4-968d-456b-9916-b866c3a9630a>
and comment about how you or your library approach programming.* Throughout
the white paper, you will find question prompts, including:

   - What training, if any, have you received in the area of library
   programming?
   - What are your library's greatest strengths and weaknesses in regard to
   programming?
   - What has been your most successful/unsuccessful collaboration, and why?

Read and comment on the white paper at NILPPA.org
<http://osixy1.com/p/?_4633-4/1SVMLWVUW-4/_1._ct&_olinkid_=7f77b433-639d-4180-bd6d-2acdf709f1e3>.
Your answers will not only add to an important conversation in the library
field, but will also help us refine our strategy and demonstrate a need for
further NILPPA research and funding.

Thank you in advance for your thoughtful participation. If you have any
questions or would like to discuss this work, please contact us at
publicprograms at ala.org
<http://osixy1.com/p/?__p=_4633-4/1SVMLWVUW-2/_mt_publicprograms%40ala.org_.htm&_olinkid_=6924ce91-1370-4023-a26f-b2a73b493c6c>
.

Sincerely,

Mary Davis Fournier

Deputy Director, ALA Public Programs Office

PS. Please forward this email to your colleagues, particularly those
involved in library programming.

--
Jane Corry
Youth Librarian-Belmont Neighborhood Library