[Libs-Or] Online Learning Opportunities at the SJSU iSchool

Nicole Purviance nicole.purviance at sjsu.edu
Thu Dec 11 11:32:03 PST 2014

The information profession is evolving rapidly and career options for
librarians, archivists, and other information professionals continue to
expand. At the same time, technology is transforming the profession. Are you
ready?

There's no better place to learn online than at the School of Information at
San Jose State University (SJSU). In 2014, we received a prestigious
national award that recognizes our school's expertise in online education -
the 2014 Outstanding Online Program award
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/about/news/detail/sjsu-school-information-wins-outs
tanding-online-program-award-online-learning?utm_source=listservs&utm_medium
=Email&utm_campaign=AssocListsEmailDec14>  from the Online Learning
Consortium. The award acknowledges our Master of Library and Information
Science
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/programs/master-library-and-information-science-mli
s?utm_source=listservs&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=AssocListsEmailDec14>
(MLIS) program's learning effectiveness, student and faculty satisfaction,
cost effectiveness, and creative approach to providing access to learning
opportunities.

Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, we bring the learning to you via our
exclusively online programs. Whether you want to earn a master's degree,
take a single course, or download free webinars, the SJSU iSchool offers
numerous lifelong learning opportunities you can explore.

One option is our exclusively online MLIS program, which is fully accredited
by the American Library Association. We offer a vast array of electives,
enabling you to tailor the program to your career interests. You can check
out our career pathways
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/current-students/career-pathways?utm_source=listser
vs&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=AssocListsEmailDec14>  to get a better idea
of your options, or read about students taking some of our newest electives
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/people/community-profiles/tags/courses?utm_source=l
istservs&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=AssocListsEmailDec14> . We are
currently accepting applications for admission in fall 2015, with classes
starting in August 2015. The deadline to apply is April 1, 2015.

If you already hold a master's degree, our fully online Post-Master
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/programs/post-masters-certificate?utm_source=listse
rvs&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=AssocListsEmailDec14> 's Certificate
program may be the perfect next step in your learning journey. Our
certificate program students can choose courses from seven career pathways
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/programs/post-masters-certificate/career-pathways?u
tm_source=listservs&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=AssocListsEmailDec14> ,
including opportunities to update your technology skills or boost your
ability to transition to a leadership position.

If you aren't quite ready to dive into our master's or certificate programs,
consider taking a for-credit course through our Open Classes program
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/programs/ischool-open-classes?utm_source=listservs&
utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=AssocListsEmailDec14> . These fully online
master's-level courses are the same courses offered to our MLIS students.
For example, many of the courses available this spring through our Open
Classes program focus on emerging technology topics, such as data mining,
digital curation, and web design. Check out the spring 2015 course list
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/programs/ischool-open-classes/course-topics/spring-
2015-course-list?utm_source=listservs&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=AssocLis
tsEmailDec14> . The deadline to request spring classes is January 7, 2015.
The Open Classes program is open to everyone with a bachelor's degree or
higher.

Our school also offers free professional development opportunities.
Recently, we hosted the Library 2.014 Worldwide Virtual Conference
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/center-information-research-and-innovation-ciri/lib
rary-20/library-2014-worldwide-virtual-conference?utm_source=listservs&utm_m
edium=Email&utm_campaign=AssocListsEmailDec14> . The all-inclusive
conference connected thousands of information professionals from around the
world during two days in October. Recordings of more than 100 presentations
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/center-information-research-and-innovation-ciri/lib
rary-2014-worldwide-virtual-conference/presentations?utm_source=listservs&ut
m_medium=Email&utm_campaign=AssocListsEmailDec14>  from the conference are
freely available via our website. Check them out and then share these
thought-provoking presentations with your colleagues.

We also invite you to join us for any of our upcoming colloquia
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/about/colloquia?utm_source=listservs&utm_medium=Ema
il&utm_campaign=AssocListsEmailDec14> , where experts from the profession
share their insights. You can join us for the live online presentations, or
view recordings at your convenience. You may also be interested in our free
career webinars
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/career-development/career-webcasts-and-workshops?ut
m_source=listservs&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=AssocListsEmailDec14> ,
where you can update your job seeking skills and listen in as experts
discuss career trends for information professionals.

We invite you to request more information
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/prospective-student-information-opt?utm_source=list
servs&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=AssocListsEmailDec14>  about any of our
programs and learn more about how our school can help you achieve your
educational goals.

About

The San Jose State University (SJSU) School of Information
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/about?utm_source=listservs&utm_medium=Email&utm_cam
paign=AssocListsEmailDec14>  prepares individuals for careers as information
professionals. Graduates work
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/prospective-students/meet-our-students/life-after-m
lis?utm_source=listservs&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=AssocListsEmailDec14>
in diverse areas of the information profession, such as user experience
design, digital asset management, information architecture, electronic
records management, information governance, digital preservation, and
librarianship. The SJSU School of Information is a recognized leader in
online education, receiving accolades from the Online Learning Consortium
(OLC), including the OLC's Outstanding Online Program award
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/about/news/detail/sjsu-school-information-wins-outs
tanding-online-program-award-online-learning?utm_source=listservs&utm_medium
=Email&utm_campaign=AssocListsEmailDec14> . For more information about the
school, please visit: ischool.sjsu.edu
<http://ischool.sjsu.edu/?utm_source=listservs&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign
=AssocListsEmailDec14>

Contact:

Nicole Purviance

Director of Marketing and Communications

School of Information

San Jose State University

408-924-2465

nicole.purviance at sjsu.edu