[Libs-Or] FW: NHPRC Seeks comment on proposed new programming

Arlene Weible arlene.weible at state.or.us
Thu Feb 13 08:23:24 PST 2014

From: bestpractices-bounces at islemail.org [mailto:bestpractices-bounces at islemail.org] On Behalf Of Nancy Melley
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:55 AM
To: Best Practices Exchange
Subject: [Bestpractices] NHPRC Seeks comment on proposed new programming

The NHPRC has been revising its grant programs to better reflect the way people are accessing and using historical records, the goals of the National Archives for public access and open government, and the goal of the Administration for a better Digital Government.

On our blog Annotation (http://blogs.archives.gov/nhprc), we have posted overviews of each of our six new programs along with drafts of the new grant announcements.

Access to Historical Records - projects to support preserving and processing primary source materials.

Literacy & Engagement with Historical Records -- projects to explore ways to improve digital literacy and encourage citizen engagement with historical records.

Online Publishing of Historical Records - projects to publish historical records online, including, compiling, digitizing, transcribing, and annotating documentary source materials.

Publishing Historical Records Online: Transition Support - projects to assist print-only documentary editions and documentary editions available only through paid subscriptions to complete their projects and/or provide free online access.

State Board Programming Grants - projects by state historical records advisory boards to enhance access to historical records, increase citizen engagement with records, and provide learning and development opportunities for students, citizens and professional archivists.

State Government Electronic Records -- projects to accession, describe, preserve, and provide access to state government electronic records of enduring value.

We welcome your comments on the announcements on Annotation. In addition, each post includes information on webinars about these new programs that we will hold between February 19-26. These webinars are designed to provide direct contact with the NHPRC staff to ask questions and share your ideas.

We need your feedback by Thursday, February 27th in order to meet the new schedule for the FY 2015 grants cycle.

Thanks to everyone for your interest in the NHPRC and its grants programs. We are looking forward to discussing our new grants programs with you in the coming days!

Nancy J. Melley
Director for Technology Initiatives
National Historical Publications and Records Commission
National Archives and Records Administration
202-357-5452
www.archives.gov/nhprc<http://www.archives.gov/nhprc>
Find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/nhprc<http://www.facebook.com/nhprc>