[Libs-Or] Orbis Cascade Alliance communication with EBSCO and Ex Libris about data sharing

Max Macias mmacias at pcc.edu
Mon Jun 9 12:06:25 PDT 2014

Thank you Diedre, for acknowledging that I am not a troll.

You can bump me off you list if you desire, but that will just prove my
point even more.

You can have one less person of color to deal with in your daily routine...

*Why does it matter that the company is in Israel?*

*Are Israelis above diversity?*

Libraryland does not have many people of color, and what I mean by it being
white-supremacist is that libraries and librarians rarely, if ever tackle
subjects that are relevant to people of color--subjects that are
fundamental to our field--like Information Literacy, for example.  This is
but one glaring example where librarians fall short intellectually.

I'll use a thought experiment here to try to illustrate what I mean.

Suppose Germany had won WW2.

Now suppose that some Jewish people survived and they were able to become
academics in this new world.

This new world will have information and what they call 'knowledge' that
has been created by the newly installed culture.

How can the Jewish person now relate to this information?

Is the information valid without being questioned?

Does this information and knowledge have in impact on how the culture runs?

Is this information and knowledge the basis for education in this culture?

Is the information 'true?'

Would the Jewish people who pointed out that the information and knowledge
they have is skewed by a White-supremacist lens be considered trolls and
other derogatory terms?

Indigenous people and other people of color live in a world similar to the
pretend world I described above.  What is really sad is that almost the
entirety of the library world either doesn't notice this, or doesn't care
to talk about it.

I'm not surprised by the attack/s against me--I'm used to it--I operate in
culture that is fundamentally white-supremacist, repentantly genocidal and
that built it's wealth on the  backs of slaves.

My main point was, "Gee the board of Ex Libris seems to be homogeneous and
that I don't think it is a good idea to do business with organizations
who's leadership is homogeneous."

I am leaving this conversation because I don't think it is worth the
effort.  It would be my hope though, that librarians would want to discuss
these issues instead of attacking me.

Max Macias

Training Team Twitter feed @TSSTrainer <https://twitter.com/#%21/TSSTrainer>