[Libs-Or] A poem for the occasion

Caleb TUCKER-RAYMOND calebt at multco.us
Wed Jun 11 09:28:50 PDT 2014

> The problem is: how many library vendors are there who are diverse or
> consider diversity as part of their mission and employment?  Maybe we
> should begin asking.

I also think this is a worthwhile question. I think we could start with
contacting the ALA Office for Diversity to see if any work has been done in
this area. http://www.ala.org/offices/diversity

As far as addressing Max's concern as to where to spend our dollars, I know
I have used RFP processes that give points for a company having a specific
policy on diversity, for environmental sustainability, using unionized
labor, having staff physically located in Oregon, and other categories that
reflect a company's policies and priorities rather than just the goods and
services it provides. None of these things got very many points in the RFP,
as cost and services provided are usually considered the most important
factors.

They are also the kinds of things, in a formal RFP process, that weigh
towards larger companies that have the infrastructure to address these
issues. If that is worrisome to you, you can also give points or an
exemption for small companies. Talk to your contracting department!

To identify companies to contract with to begin with, there is the State of
Oregon's Office of Economic & Business Equity (
http://www.oregon.gov/gov/MWESB/Pages/index.aspx), and the Business Xpress
database (formerly "Minorities, Women and Emerging Small Businesses"?) at
http://www.oregon.gov/business/Pages/index.aspx.

These are the basic things we can be doing to ensure that public
contracting dollars go to firms that value diversity. I don't know that it
is enough.

I personally value diversity because social equality is a moral imperative.
Thank you Max and everyone else for speaking up.

Caleb Tucker-Raymond

Statewide Reference Service Coordinator
Multnomah County Library
(503) 988-5438