[Libs-Or] Diversity, racism, silly, inauthentic & productive conversation.

Julia_Sathler at LB9.uscourts.gov Julia_Sathler at LB9.uscourts.gov
Wed Jun 11 12:32:19 PDT 2014

Hi there,

This in no way reflects the view of my employer, though I'd be willing to
bet that many of our judges know and employ this -- I'd like to add
something I've been learning lately -- and that is about how we
communicate to each other.  Active listening and non-violent communication
(NVC) are tools that go a long way towards being heard and hearing someone
else.  They are great tools for creating understanding and finding
solutions to problems.

>From what I've learned about observable vs. un-observable things, I
believe "diversity" is something that is objective and can be measured,
but that "racist", rather, is an example of an word that is often used to
accuse someone of something, but it can also refer to a  policy or
reality.  It is a charged word.

"Silly", "not authentic" -- those are words that can actually be (or sound
-- only the speaker knows for sure) dismissive of someone else's feelings
or what is important to them -- according to what I have been learning.
They are not likely to lead to agreement and problem solving.

This issue (diversity; I experience racism and I hate it, I fervently want
to change racism) can be discussed in a non-judgmental and objective way.
Whether it has merit or not for this forum I have no idea since I am a
newcomer.  Perhaps there are guidelines for use posted somewhere.  I'm
impressed with efforts to keep the discussion responsible, non-judgmental
and non-personal.

Again, sometimes it can be thought that a topic is being shut down, and
then what really what is going on is there is "violent communication"
going on (I think that is kind of a weird term, but for lack of a better
one) -- and that is what people want to shut down, not the topic.  BUT the
answer is not to shut down "violent communication" either -- instead it is
to respond to it skillfully -- in a way that leads to understanding and
problem-solving.  This takes skill.  Why don't we study these skills as
much as we study our "professional" skills?

NVC can be clunky to use -- it take practice to use it in real life, but
it's precepts are worthwhile in any conversation -- particularly emotional
ones.  http://www.nonviolentcommunication.com/aboutnvc/4partprocess.htm

Some active listening suggestions: http://www.studygs.net/listening.htm

I hope this was useful to someone.

Julia Sathler
Assistant Librarian,
Portland Branch
Ninth Circuit Libraries
1000 SW Third Ave. 7A40
Portland, OR 97204
library: 503.326.8140
direct:  503.326.8147

From:   HARMON-MYERS Margaret <Margaret.HarmonMyers at ci.eugene.or.us>
To:     'Shannon Van Kirk' <SVanKirk at bluecc.edu>, 'Mark KILLE'
<markk at multco.us>
Cc:     "libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us"
<libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us>
Date:   06/11/2014 11:59 AM
Subject:        Re: [Libs-Or] A poem for the occasion
Sent by:        "Libs-Or" <libs-or-bounces at listsmart.osl.state.or.us>

Respectfully, it seems the focus was sidetracked by the silly poem, which
I do not see as having anything to do with the original discussion, and
seemed to make light of a very serious and authentic issue.  Let?s put
that aside and continue with a worthy topic of discussion ? one that is
not talked about enough, respectfully and openly, among our peers;  isn?t
this the best place for it?  I want it to be shared with the larger group,
those who prefer not to participate can simply delete, once they see the
subject line.  I delete many emails on this listserv that are not of
interest to me and don?t see that as a burden;  someone who has not been
in on the conversation initially may see this subject and want to join the
conversation and I want them to have that opportunity!

I do think the subject line needs to be updated to reflect the discussion.

I appreciate the insights I gain from all of you, and am grateful for this
forum.

Sincerely,

Margaret E. Harmon-Myers
Adult Reference Services