[Libs-Or] Fwd: [alacro-l] ALA welcomes open internet bill

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Tue Jun 17 10:28:43 PDT 2014

FYI,

Suzanne L. Sager

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Don Wood <dwood at ala.org>
Date: Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Subject: [alacro-l] ALA welcomes open internet bill
To: "alacro-l at ala.org" <alacro-l at ala.org>

WASHINGTON, D.C.—The American Library Association (ALA) is rallying
librarians to support the Online Competition and Consumer Choice Act of
2014, a bill that would prohibit paid prioritization over the Internet.
Introduced today, Rep. Doris Matsui (D - CA), the legislation would
prohibit Internet service providers giving preferential treatment to the
traffic of online content, applications, services, or devices.

ALA President Barbara Stripling responded today to the introduction of the
net neutrality bill:

“An open and innovative Internet is essential to our nation's freedom of
speech, educational achievement and economic growth. Librarians in public,
school, and academic libraries are dedicated to preserving the free flow of
information over the public Internet, which is why the Online Competition
and Consumer Choice Act of 2014 is vitally important to preserving this
cherished freedom. The American Library Association enthusiastically
endorses the bill.

“The Internet must continue to serve as a primary, open platform for
information exchange, intellectual discourse, civic engagement, creativity,
research, innovation, teaching and learning. The beauty of the open
Internet is that every individual or entity, including libraries, can be
both users and providers of information and Internet content.
Unfortunately, paid prioritization allows only those who can pay more to
maximize the Internet’s many benefits. We are deeply concerned that public
broadband providers have financial incentives to interfere with the
openness of the Internet by granting favorable transmission to their
affiliated content providers or by discriminating against particular
Internet applications based on the content of the information or the type
of service being provided.

“The ALA remains steadfastly committed to the Open Internet. We will work
collaboratively with libraries and educational institutions nationwide to
advocate for strong public policies enforce network neutrality and prohibit
paid prioritization. It is critical for all to have equitable access to the
Internet to support our nation’s social, cultural, educational and economic
well-being.”

###

*About the American Library Association*

The American Library Association is the oldest and largest library
association in the world, with approximately 57,000 members in academic,
public, school, government, and special libraries. The mission of the
American Library Association is to provide leadership for the development,
promotion and improvement of library and information services and the
profession of librarianship in order to enhance learning and ensure access
to information for all.

--
Suzanne L. Sager
Oregon ALA Representative