[Libs-Or] city foundation vs library foundation

Rawles, Carolyn Carolyn.Rawles at corvallisoregon.gov
Tue May 6 15:15:42 PDT 2014

People give to charitable organizations because they tend to support the organization's mission and purpose.   I believe the pool of people who would donate to support city government in general is small and what a city foundation would end up getting is designated donations for the library and parks and rec.   And some wouldn't give at all because they wouldn't believe their donations would be used as intended.     I would not think the  general assets of a city government foundation would grow all that rapidly.    It's hard enough to grow a library foundation!
Interesting question!  I am also curious to learn if there are successful city government (not community) foundations out there.

Carolyn

Carolyn Rawles
Library Director
Corvallis-Benton County Public Library