[Libs-Or] Cooling shelter?

Leah Griffith leah.griffith at newbergoregon.gov
Tue Apr 28 16:49:02 PDT 2015

Our community offered cooling centers for one summer and really the library was the only one that made sense.  Nobody showed up at the other sites as they were businesses that were available after their work hours (5 pm) and by then it is starting to cool off outside and so unlike a warming shelter where people need to sleep and stay all night, the cooling shelter is more a daytime thing.

We don’t do anything different other than be open as we figure people already are using us for that purpose.

I would consider in a hotter climate partnering with the homeless shelter that kicks people out at 8 am every morning to get the word out and to also work with any apartment complexes for the elderly that don’t have air conditioning to at least get the notice out.

We will lots of times put on our reader board, that it is cool inside.

Leah
Leah M. Griffith
Director,   Newberg Public Library     503-537-1256