[Libs-Or] Cooling shelter?

Jane Salisbury janesa at multcolib.org
Tue Apr 28 17:00:27 PDT 2015

We have had a fairly informal agreement over the years at Multnomah County
with our county Aging and Disabilities department, which is the local Area
Agency on Aging.  They publicize libraries as the place to go with their
clients, and it is noted in newspapers and other public places.  In case of
a real heat wave, they have sometimes contacted us just to check in, and
make sure that if it gets very serious, they can bring in water, and take
other measures to support the library's role of providing space.  It's
never come to that, as far as I know, but it's good to have the
relationship in place.   And like Salem, we've never agreed to be open
beyond our usual hours.  The experts in Aging and Disabilites have said
that, even if people are not sheltered there all day and night, it is still
very useful to for the health and safety of individuals to have a few hours
out of the heat during regular business hours.

I recommend this kind of partnership - they are the experts and we have the
space, and it's easy to come to agreement about what each will offer.

Jane

*Jane Salisbury*
Supervisor, Library Outreach Services
Multnomah County Library