[Libs-Or] Policies and Pot

BENNETT Connie J Connie.J.Bennett at ci.eugene.or.us
Thu Feb 19 09:52:27 PST 2015

Hi Colin,

The attached FAQ from the OLCC may be helpful.

-cjb

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 3:20 PM, Colin Rea <crea at fernridgelibrary.org<mailto:crea at fernridgelibrary.org>> wrote:
Apologies if this has been discussed and I missed it.  I may have been busy reading ‘The Martian.’
Most of us have in our policies and codes of conduct something about not using ‘alcohol and other illegal substances.’  As we all know, on July 1 marijuana no longer fits that second category.  Yes, the law as written prohibits lighting up in public, but we need to consider…
-A 21 year old hanging out in/near the teen area with a joint tucked behind each ear.  Anybody comfortable with that?
-Anyone vaping 10 feet from your exits/entrances could be consuming massive amounts of THC.
-That plate of brownies on the desk of your lead cataloger…  or the bong a volunteer brought in to show a friend.
My plan is to go through my policy manual and add ‘and other intoxicants’ anywhere we talk about alcohol, and to flat out ban marijuana (and other THC products) and any tool used to consume it from the library grounds.
What’s your plan/language?
Thanks!
Colin M. Rea
Director, Fern Ridge Library District
PO Box 397
88026 Territorial Road
Veneta, OR 97487
541.935.7512<tel:541.935.7512>     fax 541.935.8013<tel:541.935.8013>
www.fernridgelibrary.org<http://www.fernridgelibrary.org>
[cid:image001.png at 01D04C29.BFDF0AA0]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Veneta-OR/Fern-Ridge-Public-Library/113165985463>[cid:image002.png at 01D04C29.BFDF0AA0]<http://twitter.com/fernridgelib>