[Libs-Or] Policies and Pot

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Tue Feb 24 10:52:30 PST 2015

We've purchased the aforementioned Cannabis Pharmacy, and it's seeing a lot of use. We've also had it for about three months and it hasn't disappeared yet, which is exciting. ;) We've experienced the same thing with mushroom books, so there's sort of a built-in understanding that we might lose anything we purchase, but one can always hope...

Other recent purchases that appear to my eye to be high quality:

Marijuana grower's handbook : Ask Ed edition : your complete guide for medical & personal marijuana cultivation / Ed Rosenthal
Growing medical marijuana : securely, legally / Dave DeWitt

And, for the dissent:

Going to Pot: Why the Rush to Legalize Marijuana Is Harming America / Bennett, William J.  (this one is on order)

As far as programming goes, I haven't started to put together my program yet. I figure the local police chief will be willing to address the enforcement questions, but I'd like to put together a panel if I can.

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney, MLIS
Library Director
Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101, #201
Lincoln City, OR 97367
541-996-1251 (desk)
541-996-1262 (fax)
www.driftwoodlib.org
>>> Paul Addis <paddis at cclsd.org> 2/24/2015 9:07 AM >>>
Hi Kirsten,

Thanks for sharing and please do share the exact items at least with me if not everyone, especially those items that see regular use. My guess is the demand for items covering growing/cultivation will definitely rise come July. We just got in the book Mr. Macias mentioned earlier, Cannabis Pharmacy. Thanks for the review, Max! It can definitely be used for more than a medical reference. My guess, is we'll be seeing more magazines, and maybe journals, real soon.

I wouldn't count on the theft-rate going down as we still have to keep any eye on our mushroom hunting books and most folks around here seem to deal with the legal edibles.

As for informational sessions, I am wondering what local entities to contact. Even though OCLC will be regulating laws and retail, I'm not sure they are the best source for this type of program. If not one source, I'm thinking maybe a panel of folks engaging in an informational/Q&A type session covering different aspects such as retail, medical, and legal.

So far, our residents, that are concerned, seem to be worried about how legalization will affect the under-21 population.

Anyone planning programs around this new law? Please share.

Thanks,

Paul