[Libs-Or] Body Odor Policy

BCLD Library Director director at bakerlib.org
Mon Jan 5 15:43:52 PST 2015

Our Code of Conduct line on that subject reads:

"While on library properties, you may not ...

.         create a disruptive scent in the library such as from strong body
odor, personal care product, or personal belongings."

"Personal care product" helps address cases when patrons come in wafting a
scent or actually spray themselves with a deoderant product or perfume while
in the library.

 "Personal belongings" covers everything from cat-sprayed backpacks &
clothing, to hot food, incense & stink bombs.

It is subjective but our general guidelines are:

.         Scent easily detectable from 5+ feet away.

.         Scent remains present in area several minutes after individual has
left.

When two or more staff confirm a scent meets either/both conditions,
enforcement is warranted.

It's still always awkward but it helps to explain

a)      that to create the broadest possible welcoming space, the library
needs to maintain a neutral atmosphere,

b)      that includes control not only of noise but air quality in and
around our buildings because quite a few library users have allergies,
chemical sensitivities or respiratory ailments,

c)       the policy applies to strong scents in general, not just one
person's "scent display".

Perry Stokes | Library Director

Baker County Library District | 2400 Resort St | Baker City, OR 97814

o: 866-297-1239 | m: 541.403.0450 | f: 541-523-9088 | e:
director at bakerlib.org