[Libs-Or] Title of Library Director

ALETHA alethaboneb at msn.com
Wed Jul 29 13:53:45 PDT 2015

I recommended to current interim that she get in touch with Special District Assn. to get written clarification for the Board and City Manager as to what the legal status of a Special District is, that they are not under the governance of any City or other entity other than their own elected board and that the title "Director" clearly describes the authority that the CEO of a Municipal Corporation has over all operational matters and that Board's set policy, approve budgets and hire and fire directors only.  The position is kin to a City Manager's position vis-¨¤-vis the City's elected council.

Furthermore, nearly all Directors of libraries in Oregon are called "directors,"  even those under City or County governance. Nothing wrong with "District Librarian" either -  or "CEO" - it's the understanding of the meaning that counts.  Everybody understands that managers work under directors, not under a Board.  Head of OTLD is not a "manager." And Board members do not "direct" library operations.  etc. etc.

The OTLD Board needs to educate themselves on the nature and authority of different kinds of Boards.

Anyone who has written descriptions of Board authority or Director authority that would help the Interim Director might want to send them to OTLD director and help her out.

Aletha G. Bonebrake, MLS

541-523-6025 (h); 541-519-3255 (c)