[Libs-Or] Patron request

Marta Murvosh murvosh at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 30 20:53:07 PDT 2015

Meg,
I'm a teen librarian in Northwestern Washington state. (I'm not speaking for my system, merely expressing my opinion. We're required to say that.)

I think there are more appropriate ways for a librarian and library system to facilitate a book discussions and patrons connecting with each other, than leaving notes in books.

People finding each other via a book sounds like a movie moment that would star John Cusack. In real life, it could be extremely problematic.

Some things to ask yourself:

- Would you let every patrons do this? As a librarians and library systems, we need to apply access equitably. So if it's OK for this patron, is it OK for the patron who is a registered sex offender to leave letters in teen books?

- Would you allow this for every book? What about leaving notes in children's books?

- While your patron doesn't seem to have no problem leaving her name and number for a virtual stranger, what about the patron on the receiving end? Her lack of boundaries, might creep out other patrons and be considered disruptive. (If I got a book with a note in it, I'd wonder what her racket was and if she wanted to scam me.)

- What if either your patron or the person who ends up with the book has less honorable intentions and someone is hurt in some way, emotionally, physically or financially?

- What if a tween or teen checks out the book and calls a complete stranger? What would the library say to that tween's parent?

As an alternative, suggest she start a book group that meets at the library or join a book group that meets at the library.

If this title is something that everyone is talking about, maybe have a program that revolves around the book in some way and include time for people to mingle. Or maybe it's on a topic that people are talking about.

What about hosting a program to introduce bookworms to each other? You could model it on Bainbridge Library's Speed Friending program, see BFF http://www.the-bookaneer.com/programs.html (Not my system, I just love Audrey Barbakoff's fabulous ideas.)
I hope this helps.
All the best,
Marta
 Marta Murvosh, MLS