[Libs-Or] Patron request

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Tue Mar 31 11:51:30 PDT 2015

I'm mostly reacting to this as a patron, rather than as a librarian, but this feels a little strange and invasive to me. I think I would instead find ways of connecting patrons to books that offer an equal footing to opt-in -- book discussion groups or similar.

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney, MLIS
Library Director
Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101, #201
Lincoln City, OR 97367
541-996-1251 (desk)
541-996-1262 (fax)
www.driftwoodlib.org

 >>> Meg Spencer <meg at siuslawlibrary.org> 3/30/2015 5:24 PM >>>
I just received a request from a patron who asked to leave a letter in a book she just returned (and which is on hold for another patron). In the letter, she has included her name and phone number and invites the next patron to contact her if they would like to discuss the book further. Any thoughts? Does it feel too much like it violates patron confidentiality? Or am I standing in the way of making a connection through books?

Meg
Siuslaw Public Library

If this is an unsolicited spam message, please click this link to report it: Report Spam
( http://gwava.lincolncity.org:49285/contents/spamreport.shtml?rptid=234989&srvid=195s08f)