[Libs-Or] Face-out shelving for easy readers / graded ESOL readers?

Jane Sandberg sandbej at linnbenton.edu
Wed Nov 4 11:22:45 PST 2015

Hi all (especially children's librarians!)

Do you shelve your easy readers face out?  Here's an example of what I
have in mind: http://www.petry-kuhne.com/sites/default/files/styles/portfolio/public/kids%2520books-thumb-400x253.jpg?itok=xCx59xoH

If so, how do you do it?  Bins on shelves?  Specially built shelves?
Are books sorted by level, and if so, how specific do you get with the
order (i.e. are they shelved by author within each level, or do you
not worry too much about shelving these in a specific way within each
level)?

Our library recently purchased a bunch of graded readers for our ESOL
and Adult Basic Skills students, and we're exploring how exactly we'd
like to shelve them.  I'm hesitant to shelve them spine-out; if folks
are new to reading English, it seems like a disservice to make them
try to read it in small, sideways print as they are trying to select a
book.

Any guidance you can provide would be very appreciated!

   -Jane

--
Jane Sandberg
Electronic Resources Librarian