[Libs-Or] [REFORMANET] RE: Fwd: Reading While White

Mario Bencastro mbencastro at bellsouth.net
Thu Sep 24 11:12:36 PDT 2015

Hi Martin and Max:

Thanks for bringing up these very crucial  issues:

 – “Racism is embedded, permeated, in a minority of the planet’s population;
racism is the tool of the privileged to perpetuate power. Of course, this is
reflected in our education and what it is published (in the media as a
whole).”

– “It’s almost impossible to find books written by Latino authors and
illustrators (only 2% of what is printed is relevant to the Latino
culture).”

To that point, I will add that most of what is presented to our community as
Latino culture is just regular consumer products with Spanish names, and in
many cases the so call “Latino heroes” do not even understand Spanish, or
are some famous sports or Hollywood millionaires far removed from our Latino
reality.

– Specifically on Latino culture publications: In most libraries in the
United States the “Spanish” section –if there is any-- contains non Latino
author books in Spanish. This will increase even more now that Penguin has
bought Alfaguara.

– Librarians always tell you that they can’t buy your book because you are
an “Independent” writer. I thought that was the highest honor that an artist
could aspire to. Not when it comes to having your books at the library. It
seems that libraries in general are tied to a system where they can only buy
products from the “official” and “traditional” industry, which is run of
course by the big media empire. Sadly, our so called “Latino culture”, image
and products are established by this big machine; for them “Latino culture”
is just a commercial opportunity.

– To that respect, it will be interesting to ask our community what makes
them Latinos, and if they ever read a book by a Latino author -- asking them
if they read a book in Spanish will be perhaps expecting too much.

BUT libraries and librarians are still key players in these difficult
issues; they may not resolve them but they can keep them alive on the
discussion table.

Thank you REFORMA, I have faith in you.

Mario Bencastro

www.MarioBencastro.org