[Libs-Or] [REFORMANET] RE: Fwd: Reading While White

Grace Tiscareno-Sato grace at gracefullyglobal.com
Thu Sep 24 12:10:18 PDT 2015

Meanwhile, those of us creating independent publishing firms and writing
award -winning literature (digital and print formats) that showcases the
positive contributions of Latino Americans in the USA (green economy
industries, military service, etc) are standing right over here, waving our
hands high, shouting "We're right here!! Buy directly from US, not your
20th century distributor!"

Yes, many librarians I have talked to are/think they are locked into buying
from, let's say Baker & Taylor...a perfect example of how the publishing
industry lobbyists long ago dictated whose works would be prominent in the
library: those published by HUGE, corporate, NYC-based publishers, sharing
$$$ with their distribution buddies when librarians buy.

So, our firm's titles are also distributed by Baker & Taylor, but they
demand from us, a 55% discount (!!) to send you our books. Yucky business
terms for this Latina military veteran-owned firm. I actually cringe when
we fulfill orders from B & T, but I want our books in our nation's
libraries.

They also agree to pay us in four months yet regularly take SIX to NINE
months to pay. There's another proof point of their cozy, white, male
connections to NYC publishers. Pengiun, Random House can float their
distribution buddies for half a year or more; small publishers, not so
much. There's another view for you about the in-place system that
perpetuates racism.

And don't get me started on how ALL of those systems support book printing
jobs for CHINESE workers...We refuse to print in China, we support American
jobs. Continuing to buy the way you've been told to buy as librarians feeds
the Chinese and starves Americans.

Check YOUR recent acquisitions.  How many were printed in the USA? In
China? Are your library funds supporting racist literary agents,
publishers, distributors and Chinese printers? These are questions few have
asked. So happy it's being talked about...

Our little publishing firm has won nine literary awards for our first two
titles, each anchoring a book series, with second books for both in
development. These awards include several at the International Latino Book
Awards. If you're curious, "Latinnovating: Green American Jobs and the
Latinos Creating Them," [www.Latinnovating.com]  and "Good Night Captain
Mama/Buenas Noches Capitán Mamá" [wew.CaptainMama.com] They're available as
print books and eBooks.

Technology has changed the game making EXCELLENT book product development
possible for small firms. There are awards programs for indie publishers to
recognize this fact. Are librarians monitoring/being marketed THOSE indie
titles? (Our bilingual Captain Mama book won FIRST Place, in the
uber-competitive Children Picture Book category in December...first time
Writer's Digest judges had selected a book in English/Spanish to WIN!)

But...the challenge continues to be reaching the institutional buyers, our
librarians, because of everything that's been said before my comments and
within these comments.

I urge you to buy DIRECTLY from us. Buying only from Baker and Taylor robs
us half of our revenue while you likely still pay full price, making it
harder for us to get the next book out faster. Our titles can be purchased
in our online store at the link below: (www.GracefullyGlobal.com/commerce )

I urge you to buy from that 2% of us creating literature that sparks young
minds in exciting, aspirational, college-going ways. I see it at every
school visit and library program I do. Our children NEED this literature,
by us, about who they can become.

Then after you buy, please tell 20 librarian friends.  We've got BIG
publishing plans ahead, but won't be able to grow without the purchasing
support of our nation's librarians.

Thank you for discussing this!! I feel a Huffington Post blog coming on
this topic....

Graciela Tiscareño-Sato
http://about.me/gracielaTSato

Publisher, Speaker & Bilingual STEM Consultant
Gracefully Global Group LLC
Online Store for Books/DVDs: www.GracefullyGlobal.com/commerce
Tel: (510) 542-9449

Gracefully Global Group LLC is a Woman, Hispanic and Veteran-Owned
Business, certified by the Small Business Administration as a Woman-Owned
Small Business

2014 White House Champion of Change, Women Veteran Leaders;
Cofounder of the National Women Veterans Speakers Bureau
www.WomenVetsSpeak.com