[Libs-Or] Beyond Voting: Elections and Campaign Finance

Donna Cohen dcohen at dcoheninfo.com
Wed Jul 27 15:25:24 PDT 2016

Hi everyone,

You are invited to come to my next workshop, Beyond Voting: Elections and
Campaign Finance. Check out the description; we cover a lot of territory.
This is a great opportunity to see what you can have at your library. These
workshops are high quality, information-rich, and I always provide
comprehensive Resource Lists. Every participant has said they enjoy them and
would recommend them [I give out evaluation forms]!

I would love to see us do an outcomes-based study on the effect of the
workshops on civic attitudes and participation. If we could show that people
actually improve their knowledge, thinking and/or behavior, how wonderful
would that be for the library world. Since I have taught evaluation and
assessment at Emporia, was the L-net evaluator after the pilot year, and
have conducted numerous needs assessments when consulting, I guess you could
say this is a match made in heaven. Think about this for your library
system.

Donna

Here are the latest updates from my Civics for Adults Facebook page. I've
been posting some very helpful resources - don't want you folks to miss out!

Here is a short but significant piece from NPR a couple of days ago
highlighting the importance of reading opinions from across the political
spectrum. "Chait says that making sure he reads and hears other sides of an
argument is just common sense."
http://www.npr.org/2016/07/24/487237194/to-break-through-the-news-feed-echo-
chamber-political-opinion-writers-read-oppos

FYI, this is the suit being brought by some Sanders supporters against
Debbie Wasserman Schultz, who, in her role as head of the Democratic
National Committee, was to be impartial in terms of Democratic candidates.
Suit says she wasn't. Note: description of issues begins on page
17.https://www.scribd.com/document/317136795/DNC-lawsuit#fullscreen
<https://www.scribd.com/document/317136795/DNC-lawsuit#fullscreen&from_embed
> &from_embed

Here is the Oregon Secretary of State's Elections homepage. You will find
manuals about all aspects of elections in Oregon and searchable databases -
like one for campaign finances. We'll give this a [very] quick review in the
Elections workshop coming up.
http://sos.oregon.gov/voting-elections/Pages/default.aspx

Ballotpedia has a good section on PACS and SuperPACS. This is an issue we
will discuss in the next workshop on Aug 2 and 11. "Dark money", too, which
is money for which no disclosure is required. Come get these campaign
finance terms sorted out! Learn basic "campaign literacy". :)
<https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fballotpedia.org%2FPACs_and_S
uper_PACs&h=6AQFidKIdAQEkFH2x-mvoM3ybliVAZEY1K2E5Fl6eQA-Qbg&enc=AZMNVw3CRoTV
XMUjHQvdeRXW3A8Ys5RqedYKJ28O_vBIsbbKdsrd3trDF0tfwW049f3wl9lpaF3D3HsYhJCcvoB3
11kZiaHpux1tw0-u1cC_zza4M5SrNqidlpb_rGNNOG0rahWv4CaAcp-iMjgM3EtqQHE1T60VeOSq
BxdHDwRCM0NFRemyQx7nvbqVIxriwi8P-ch8iCgoUcxwU_fGLSQY&s=1>
https://ballotpedia.org/PACs_and_Super_PACs

Some amazing visualizations - as well as data on many types of contributions
to state, and some local, campaigns at http: <http://followthemoney.org/>
followthemoney.org

In the Misinformation workshop I talk about using research guides from
university libraries as starting points from which to find good resources.
Here's one from Harvard on Campaigns and Elections.
 <http://guides.library.harvard.edu/c.php?g=310717&p=2072693>
http://guides.library.harvard.edu/c.php?g=310717&p=2072693

In my research on campaign finance reform I'm coming across some interesting
ideas. The "STOP Act", HR 2931 - Restoring Integrity to America's Elections
Act. Come to the workshop to learn more.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/this-would-be-a-nice-first-step-on-c
ampaign-finance-reform/2016/06/10/745de05a-2e69-11e6-b5db-e9bc84a2c8e4_story
.html

See you soon, I hope.

Donna

Donna L Cohen, MEd, MLIS

Portland, Oregon

503-737-1425

citizen at civicthinker.net <mailto:citizen at civicthinker.net>

Civics for Adults Workshop Series: To Enhance Civic Knowledge and Inspire
Political Engagement

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Civics-for-Adults-1490728887922036/