[Libs-Or] Fwd: [REFORMANET] Re: REFORMA in Orlando for ALA Annual

Max Macias max.macias at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 07:19:59 PDT 2016

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: loidagarciafebo <loidagarciafebo at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 7:14 AM
Subject: [REFORMANET] Re: REFORMA in Orlando for ALA Annual
To: REFORMANET <REFORMANet at googlegroups.com>

Colleagues: I believe many of us have seen news articles about how, sadly,
90% of the victims were Latino. I just came across some links and thought
of sharing them with you. There might be many other articles too.

Latino community mourns Pulse shooting victims: '90% were Hispanic'

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/14/latino-hispanic-orlando-shooting-victims

In the Dead in Orlando, Puerto Ricans Hear a Roll Call of Their Kin

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/15/us/in-orlando-victims-puerto-ricans-hear-a-roll-call-of-their-kin.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=b-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Orlando’s Latino community hit hard by massacre at nightclub
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/among-the-dead-in-orlando-massacre-many-from-the-latino-community/2016/06/13/8192e3a4-3186-11e6-8758-d58e76e11b12_story.html

Un abrazo,
Loida

On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 5:39:53 PM UTC-4, Mario A. Ascencio wrote:

> Dear REFORMISTAS,
> I am writing this email in regards to the massacre in Orlando – it’s not
> an easy email to write as I hold back my tears. As you already know, over
> 90% of the victims were Latino. With ALA taking place in Orlando, REFORMA
> needs to work with ALA and the GLBTRT. Both are planning events in Orlando.
> REFORMA also needs to be part of the conversation. I contacted a friend who
> was in Orlando to ask what we could do and he suggested participating in a
> blood drive could be start. I think ALA is planning this already. What
> about reaching out to local Latino organizations? If you have ideas, please
> let me know. RERORMA leadership should be in direct communication with
> GLBTRT and ALA. I am willing to liaise.
>
> -Mario
>
> *Mario A. Ascencio*, MLIS | College Librarian and Managing Director
> College Library, ArtCenter College of Design
> 1700 Lida Street, Pasadena, CA 91103
>
> *mario.ascencio at artcenter.edu* | 626.396.2231
> http://library.artcenter.edu
>
> --

The ideas expressed in these emails in no way represent any organization's
viewpoints, or opinions.  The opinions, ideas and reflections are my own
personal intellectual property.

http://lowriderlibrarian.blogspot.com/

Twitter feed:
<http://twitter.com/REFORMAnet>