[Libs-Or] Fwd: [lita-l] Statements from ALA and GLBTRT in re Orlando

Max Macias max.macias at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 08:35:44 PDT 2016

FYI
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andromeda Yelton <andromeda.yelton at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 8:31 AM
Subject: Re: [lita-l] Statements from ALA and GLBTRT in re Orlando
To: LITA-L <lita-l at lists.ala.org>

Here is the page that lists community service activities at ALA and
relevant information resources (whether or not you're coming to Orlando):
http://2016.alaannual.org/orlando-relief-activities

This page is being actively updated, so check back frequently.

Please also keep in mind that your LGBT patrons and colleagues are having a
hard time right now. Here are things your library can do to be supportive:
http://www.ala.org/glbtrt/tools#toolkit Similarly, please keep in mind that
Muslims or people frequently mistaken for them (like Sikhs) are also facing
elevated prejudice right now, and that the Latinx community has been
specifically threatened.

I don't think I can say it better than Chris Bourg, director of libraries
at MIT: "I wish there were words I could share that would make this latest
tragedy easier to deal with; but I don’t think there are any. I do know
that being kind and gentle and loving to ourselves and to each other feels
all the more important right now. So the best I can do is encourage us all
to practice extra acts of kindness – random and intentional – in the coming
days and weeks."
https://chrisbourg.wordpress.com/2016/06/14/on-orlando-and-my-first-tattoo/

--
Andromeda Yelton
Board of Directors/Vice-President Elect, Library & Information Technology
Association: http://www.lita.org
http://andromedayelton.com
@ThatAndromeda <http://twitter.com/ThatAndromeda>

The ideas expressed in these emails in no way represent any organization's
viewpoints, or opinions.  The opinions, ideas and reflections are my own
personal intellectual property.

http://lowriderlibrarian.blogspot.com/

Twitter feed:
<http://twitter.com/REFORMAnet>