[Libs-Or] The restroom question

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Thu May 5 11:36:53 PDT 2016

In light of the controversy surrounding so-called "bathroom bills" in various states, I'm curious if any libraries currently have signage regarding the availability of gender neutral bathrooms, or are considering such signage?

My library has the usual multi-stall men's and women's restrooms, but we also have a single occupancy family restroom at the other end of the building in the children's area. I'm trying to decide if it would make sense to post something informing folks who would be more comfortable using a gender neutral single-occupancy restroom that one is available. I'm thinking it could also include information about the availability of a changing table in that bathroom, since the main restrooms do not have a changing area.

Any thoughts? Any particularly good wording you've used or seen?

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney, MLIS
Library Director
Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101, #201