[Libs-Or] Management Training responses

Sara Trott sara.trott at ccrls.org
Tue May 17 10:59:01 PDT 2016

Hello all,

I really appreciate all the responses I received from my question about
management training.  Thank you to all who took the time to send me ideas.
Here is a list of the responses I received.  Maybe it will help someone
else.

Thanks again!
Sara

--
Sara Trott
Assistant Librarian

This isn't local, but you might check out LLAMA -- as a member, you get
access to their webinar archives: http://www.ala.org/llama/archived-webinar-
recordings.

Candise Branum, MLS
Director of Library Services
Oregon College of Oriental Medicine
75 NW Couch Street, Portland, OR 97209
503-253-3443 ext.134 | library.ocom.edu

Hi Sara,

Unfortunately the State Library doesn’t offer any training in this area.
You might want to investigate the webinars/conferences/etc offered by ALA’s
Library Leadership and Management Association (LLAMA):

http://www.ala.org/llama/

PNLA currently offers a Leadership Institute to members as well:

http://www.pnla.org/leadership-institute

The State Library may also have some print titles that on the topic and/or
that are published by LLAMA, let me know if you’re interested in those and
I’ll send along a list early next week.

And last but not least, OLA has been discussing this topic but I’m not sure
if they have implemented any concrete offerings as of yet.

Cheers,

Darci

HI Sara,

Don’t know if your library is city or county owned and/or works with CIS,
but the best management training I’ve seen for a long time is offered by
CIS Citycounty Insurance Services. Find them at cisoregon.org

*Deborah Trusty*

Library Director

City of Toledo, Oregon

*librarydirector at cityoftoledo.org <librarydirector at cityoftoledo.org>*

541-336-3132 ext 7100

Hi Sara,
There is the OLA mentoring program. But no actual training. I think Emporia
has classes on management, maybe you could take one there.

Jane

Hi Sara,

Tons and tons

Here are just two

http://www.ala.org/onlinelearning/management

http://www.ala.org/pla/onlinelearning/webinars/ondemand      Click on
Administration/Leadership.

NWCentral has links to all kinds of resources and webinar lists etc.
including OLA stuff and Oregon State Library stuff not sure what all on
management, but you can take a look here http://b8f.645.myftpupload.
com/resources/

See you,

Kristynn Johnson

Eugene Public Library

Hi Sara,

The Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries offers a variety of training
seminars for Oregon employers, supervisors, managers, and human resource
professionals. They are offered at various locations around the state. More
information, including descriptions and schedules, can be found on their
website
<http://www.oregon.gov/boli/TA/pages/t_sem_taseminar.aspx#availableseminars>
.

Regards,

Michael

Michael Mackin

Oregon Health & Science University Library

Information & Research Services

mackinm at ohsu.edu | 503-418-4979

Sara, the best training I received was the Elements of Effective
Supervision (It’s a 2 day series) Dr. Noonan was a great trainer. This is
put on by League of Oregon Cities I believe. www.orcities.org

*Esther Moberg*

*Library Director*

*Seaside Public Library*

1131 Broadway Ave.

Seaside, OR 97138

503-738-6742

*www.seasidelibrary.org <http://www.seasidelibrary.org/>*

Here are places that give good general management training.  I have found
that most of the training from these groups transfer very well to the
library experience.

I know you aren't part of the Special Districts Association of Oregon
(SDAO) but I know that they often will offer training programs to members
of other state associations.

You can look at SDAO trainings here, http://ow.ly/2vg4300bqjX.  The
upcoming programs are HR training.  They list training available through
other organizations, http://ow.ly/Z5GT300bqwg.

I was also thinking there are probably training programs offered through
your local Council of Governments, maybe that is Mid-Willamette Valley
Council of Governments, http://www.mwvcog.org/.

BOLI gives some good training,
http://www.oregon.gov/BOLI/TA/Pages/T_SEM_Taseminar.aspx.

The League of Oregon Cities always has good stuff, http://ow.ly/l4Js300bqXu.

City County Insurance also had good training programs,
http://learn.cisoregon.org/

I'm not sure if this is quote what you're looking for, but ALA's Certified
Public Library Administrator (CPLA) program has some great classes. I don't
think that you have to be registered in the CPLA program to take them.

http://www.ala.org/onlinelearning/management/classes/cpla

Cheers!
Buzzy

************************************
Library Director
Hood River County Library District
502 State Street
Hood River, Oregon 97031
541-387-7062
http://hoodriverlibrary.org

Also not in Oregon but often online as well as library specific, Infopeople
offers a variety of management and leadership courses. Out of state classes
are usually priced at $150 a course. Homework is usually kept at about an
hour and a half per week.

David Adkins-Brown, M. Mgmt. in LIS
greenlionrampant at gmail.com
adkinsbr at usc.edu