[Libs-Or] share your experience on food for fines program

Suzy Coleman SCOLEMAN at ci.tualatin.or.us
Wed Oct 5 15:13:19 PDT 2016

Hi Emma,
There are many ways to set up this program so it works for you. We weigh the donations and offer $1 for each pound of food with a maximum of $10 per library card. We issue a voucher with the amount ($1 to $10) that is good for one year and can be used on any library card they desire. This encourages folks who may have just paid off all their fines the week before to donate and get the benefit. Or patrons that "never" have fines can give the voucher as a gift to another family member. If you are worried you'll break the budget, you can set a lower limit or offer less per pound.

We have done this for several years and received donations of food in the range of 476 to 658 pounds. Some of that was over the $10 threshold so we've issued vouchers during those years totaling $450 to $553. Remember, not all vouchers are redeemed. Our food drive is every March and lasts for one week.

Suzy

Suzy Coleman
Tualatin Public Library
Access Services Supervisor