[Libs-Or] Banned Books Read-Out in Springfield

HART Thea thart at springfield-or.gov
Mon Sep 19 14:08:00 PDT 2016

To celebrate free speech and honor defenders of First Amendment rights, the Springfield Public Library will host a Banned Books Read-Out event. Admission is free.

On Friday, September 30, from noon to 4:00pm, students from the Academy of Arts and Academics will celebrate the freedom to read with a read-out of Suzanne Kuklin's groundbreaking work of young adult nonfiction, "Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out," in the Springfield City Hall Lobby, 225 5th Street. Teens will read aloud passages from Beyond Magenta, one of the top ten most challenged books of 2015. Everyone is invited to stop by to listen, borrow books that have been targeted for censorship from the library, and pin on free "I Read Banned Books" buttons.

What: Banned Books Read-Out event
When:  Friday, September 30, 2016 from noon - 4pm
Where:  Springfield City Hall lobby located at 225 5th St, Springfield, OR  97477
Additional Information: Contact Thea Hart, 541-726-2238 or thart at springfield-or.gov<mailto:thart at springfield-or.gov>

I hope you'll attend if you are in the southern Willamette Valley!

-Thea

Thea Hart
Librarian and Arts Commission Liaison
Springfield Public Library