[Libs-Or] Announcing the 2017 Sherrer Memorial Lecture at Lewis & Clark

Elaine Hirsch elaineghirsch at lclark.edu
Tue Aug 1 13:30:35 PDT 2017

Dear Colleagues,

Please join us at Lewis & Clark College on Friday, Sept. 22 for the 2017
Johannah Sherrer Memorial Lecture in Library Service.  This year we welcome
Scott Walter, University Librarian at DePaul University.

"Library Values and the Call to Service in Academic Libraries."

According to the American Library Association, “[the] foundation of modern
librarianship rests on an essential set of core values that define, inform,
and guide our professional practice.” These values, including diversity,
intellectual freedom, access to information, as well as core commitments to
service, social justice, and the public good, face fundamental challenges
in the contemporary political environment. For academic librarians, this is
a moment to consider how values-driven programs and partnerships may
suggest new approaches to the design and delivery of library services, and
what role the academic librarian may play as an advocate for our core
values, both on campus and in the community.

The lecture will be held at 3pm at Diane Gregg Pavilion.  A reception will
follow the event.

For further information, please see:
http://library.lclark.edu/events/sherrer-lecture

Sincerely,