[Libs-Or] Nationwide effort to remove Teen Vogue from libraries hits Oregon: Learn more and get prepared

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri Aug 18 12:08:13 PDT 2017

There is a nationwide call to remove Teen Vogue from libraries, gas stations, and grocery stores. This month two libraries in Oregon reported challenges to Teen Vogue. Earlier this week OLA's Intellectual Freedom Chair Ross Betzer, the directors of those two Oregon libraries, a few other Oregon librarians, and I attended a virtual meeting about this issues with staff from ALA's Office of Intellectual Freedom. We are ready to help!

Here are a few things to know:

*         People are concerned about "Anal Sex: What You Need to Know<http://www.teenvogue.com/story/anal-sex-what-you-need-to-know>," an article that appeared as free content on the Teen Vogue website.

*         This article did not appear in the subscription-based print and digital magazine.

*         The national effort to ban Teen Vogue was initiated by The Activist Mommy's video<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Z5xC8rpQw> calling on parents to go to their local library, gas station, and grocery store, ask to speak to the manager or owner, and demand that they remove Teen Vogue from the shelves immediately.

*         If someone asks you to remove any materials from your collection, be sure to follow your library's request for reconsideration policies and procedures.

*         The Conde Nast's User Agreement<http://www.condenast.com/privacy-policy/#rulesofusage> on the website states that their service is not intended for use by children under the age 13.

*         Teen Vogue Editor Elaine Welteroth was quoted in The Guardian<https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/feb/25/teen-vogue-readers-consider-themselves-activists> saying,

o   "Our sweet spot is 18-24 [year olds]," she tells me. Also describing her readership as "genderless"...

Please contact Ross (ifc.chair at olaweb.org<mailto:ifc.chair at olaweb.org>) or me if you have patrons expressing concerns about Teen Vogue in your collection or initiating an office challenge.

Katie Anderson
Youth Services Consultant
katie.anderson at state.or.us<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us> | 503-378-2528 | www.oregon.gov/osl/ld<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/ld>