[Libs-Or] Charging stations

Buzzy Nielsen Bnielsen at crooklib.org
Thu Dec 21 09:28:48 PST 2017

We'd like to offer patrons options to charge their devices at the library when they forget their chargers, and we've been deliberating whether it makes more sense to get charging stations vs. letting people borrow chargers from the desk (no card required). Here are our observations so far.

  *   Based on the devices our patrons use, we likely only need Lightning, USB Type-C, and Micro-USB charging options.
  *   Charging stations are more expensive than buying several individual chargers.
  *   Checking out individual chargers is more work for staff and would require us to set up procedures.
  *   We'd have to find somewhere to store the chargers behind our service desk.
  *   Charging stations would limit people to a few locations whereas they could sit anywhere they want with individual chargers.
  *   People might be more inclined to use charging stations since they don't have to ask a staff member.
  *   Stationary charging stations may encourage people to leave their devices unattended, which has been an issue in our library and community.

We'd love to hear your thoughts. What have been your experiences?

Cheers!
Buzzy

Library Director
Crook County Library
175 NW Meadow Lakes Dr.
Prineville, OR 97754
bnielsen at crooklib.org
541-447-7978 x301

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - This e-mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the addressee or it appears from the context or otherwise that you have received this e-mail in error, please advise me immediately by reply e-mail, keep the contents confidential, and immediately delete the message and any attachments from your system.