[Libs-Or] Publicity for individual library programs

Ross Fuqua RossF at wccls.org
Wed Feb 1 10:31:49 PST 2017

Hi Doris,

We've been slowly & responsibly ramping up our (non-holds-related) email communications strategy and processes with WCCLS patrons over the past couple of years.

We currently use an EBSCO-owned email marketing & newsletter platform called LibraryAware<http://www.libraryaware.com/>, which integrates with our catalog and NoveList, making promoting our collections very easy. Most of our WCCLS member libraries also use LibraryAware to reach their specific patrons, promoting local programs as well. The majority of our email communications are opt-in, although there are some exceptions. For a full list and examples of our current email communications, please visit: https://www.wccls.org/newsletters

A few of our member libraries have experience using other platforms such as MailChimp and VerticalResponse, and I'd be happy to connect you with them directly if you're leaning towards a certain email platform.

Email marketing and social media are two very different animals, but both can be effective tools for libraries to reach patrons in different ways - I think it's just a matter of identifying your needs and goals with each audience. I handle both for WCCLS, so please feel free to contact me off-list for more about our current approach.

Cheers,

Ross Fuqua
Public Engagement Librarian
Washington County Cooperative Library Services
rossf at wccls.org<mailto:rossf at wccls.org> | 503-846-3273