[Libs-Or] Patrons in abusive relationships

Sue Ludington Sue_Ludington at co.washington.or.us
Tue Feb 7 16:31:59 PST 2017

Hi Taylor,
This can truly be a disheartening position to be in. I for one definitely feel your pain and commend you for reaching out to see how others might respond.

Here in the Law Library, we have a brochure display that includes one for the Domestic Violence Resource Center located here in Hillsboro. In addition, in our building of 3 county departments (including Housing), we regularly post flyers (English and Spanish) advertising the DVRC with phone numbers on pull-off tabs in the women’s restroom stalls.

Might your library have similar brochures? Perhaps you could find a way to share it with her?

If you don’t have brochures, maybe you could inquire at your local DV center. From the State’s website [https://www.oregon.gov/DHS/ABUSE/DOMESTIC/Pages/index.aspx], I found the WomenSpace organization [http://womenspaceinc.org/] located in Eugene. You might contact them to see if they have brochures they’d send for your library. Alternatively or maybe in addition, you could consider creating a flyer like I describe above. I’ve seen similar postings in other public women’s restrooms.

And while I don’t know that the Lane County Law Library would have anything specifically helpful, I’d be remiss if I didn’t encourage you to reach out to them as needed. The Law Librarian, Neil Miller, has been in the community a while and might know of other contacts or resources. He can be reached at (541) 682-4337 or via email at neil.miller at co.lane.or.us.

Hope this offers a little something that you/the library can do that might prove helpful. Thanks for being such a kind and caring human!!! We can’t have too many these days. ☺

Best,
Sue

Sue Ludington
Assistant Law Librarian