[Libs-Or] Librarians as Activists // Day of Facts on Feb. 17 // New Images from Libraries Transform

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Thu Feb 16 11:03:18 PST 2017

Please pardon the cross-posting.

Good morning,

Today my colleague, Arlene Weible, shared what I think is a well-written and interesting article. In “Why These Librarians are Protesting Trump’s Executive Orders,” Elizabeth Flock discusses current and past activism among library staff and library organizations.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/art/librarians-protesting-trumps-executive-orders/

The article also mentions tomorrow’s Day of Facts. “#DayofFacts is an international social media campaign that will occur on February 17, 2017. On this day, museums, libraries, archives, cultural institutions, science centers and other trusted public sources of knowledge will share mission-related content using the hashtag #DayofFacts. While there are no limits on the factual content that you can share, we hope institutions will share content relevant to this particular moment in American history. By not taking an overt political stand but simply sharing mission-related, objective, and relevant facts, we will show the world that our institutions are still trusted sources for truth and knowledge.” The website offers guidelines and resources. Anyone can participate, whether or not they register. In the section called Who Should Participate, there’s a disclaimer you should read.

            https://dayoffacts.wordpress.com/

In addition, the article includes an image from Libraries Transform about fake news, so I thought it was a good time to remind people that ALA’s Libraries Transform campaign is ongoing. Information and images can be found on the I Love Libraries website. You can copy the small square images from the webpage, but if you want to download larger images, posters, and other materials, you’ll need to register to access the toolkit.

            http://www.ilovelibraries.org/librariestransform/
            http://www.ilovelibraries.org/librariestransform/about
            http://www.ilovelibraries.org/librariestransform/toolkit

[http://www.ilovelibraries.org/librariestransform/sites/default/files/because-fake-news-facebook-share-image.jpg]         [http://www.ilovelibraries.org/librariestransform/sites/default/files/BECAUSE-5-OUT-OF-5-DOCTORS-AGREE-Facebook-share.png]             [http://www.ilovelibraries.org/librariestransform/sites/default/files/because-employers-facebook-instream.jpg]         [http://www.ilovelibraries.org/librariestransform/sites/default/files/160818-librariestransform_fb_shareimage-6.png]

FYI,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer, MLS
School Library Consultant
Library Support and Development Services
Oregon State Library
250 Winter Street NE
Salem, OR 97301
503.378.5011
jennifer.maurer at state.or.us<mailto:jennifer.maurer at state.or.us>

OSLIS || www.oslis.org
Learn to research. Research to learn.
FOLLOW US: [cid:image004.png at 01D0358C.4523C4D0] <https://www.facebook.com/ORLibSupport>   [http://www.thewwwblog.com/images/blogger-logo.jpg] <http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/>   [http://www.aethlonmedical.com/assets/001/5130.png] <https://twitter.com/orlibsupport>   [Picture] <http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/Pages/index.aspx>