[Libs-Or] security guards

Ted Smith t.smith at newportlibrary.org
Tue Jan 3 09:32:26 PST 2017

For those of you using security guards in your libraries I have this question:  How has the presence of security guards impacted issues concerning misbehavior in the library.  Do you still have the same number and kinds of problems?
I'm speaking about mental health disturbances, drug dealing, homeless behaviors and other issues concerning the normal operation of the library.  My city manager would like some information as to the outcomes hoped for vs. those observed.  A

Is the only result that staff no longer have to be the bad guy enforcers/mediators in dealing with misbehaviors, in their various forms.

Also, are you using private security services, or do you have real cops in you library.  Thanks for your help.

Ted Smith, Director
Newport Public Library
Newport, OR 97365
541.574.0600