[Libs-Or] security guards

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Tue Jan 3 10:04:18 PST 2017

Hi Ted,

As you know, I don't use security here, but we had municipal security guards in Philly. They were trained and hired by the library (big system), but we did use private security services when we had a sick guard or something like that. At the Free Library, the guards were also the janitorial staff for the library branches. My experience was that the presence of the guards mostly meant that we didn't have to deal directly with some of the problem behaviors, and they were trained in how to safely forcibly eject someone from the library if it became necessary (so probably reduced the number of police calls). Their presence also made staff feel safer. During the times we had to operate without a guard present, I didn't notice an uptick in problem behaviors.

One thing we did find was that the private security guards were vastly inferior to the library-trained guards; they were basically there as babysitters and weren't as helpful as the guards who had been trained to deal with library-specific issues. Also, the library-trained guards were generally from the neighborhood they were serving and the best ones had a really good understanding of the purpose of the library and its importance to the community. It's hard to overstate how important that was, given that we were introducing a "law and order" element.

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney, MLIS
Library Director
Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Highway 101 #201