[Libs-Or] Weeding Insights

Eryn McKee emckee at ttsd.k12.or.us
Wed Mar 8 14:33:36 PST 2017

Hello- I'm looking for some insights, suggestions, etc... on weeding my
library collection.  I've done fairly well with the fiction section but
when it comes to the non-fiction and the reference section, I'm
overwhelmed.  This is my 17th year here and in that time there has been
some weeding done here and there, mostly at the end of the school year when
I read the shelves but nothing consistent.   Due to budget cuts at this
point I am the only library staff.  Our non-fiction and reference are
woefully outdated.  A lot of the books are older than my high school
students.  If I went through and pulled everything that shouldn't still be
on the shelves, I wouldn't be left with a whole lot!

I have read the following books on weeding:

Less is More: A practical Guide to Weeding School Library Collections

The Weeding Handbook: A Shelf by Shelf Guild

Both were very helpful but I just don't know where to start!  I want to
pull all these horribly outdated books off the shelf but I need to be able
to update the collection as well but that is easier said than done.  Books
are not cheap and my budget is only so much each year.  I'm thinking maybe
I could apply for a grant or ask my PSO for money to help buy more books.

Any thoughts, insights, suggestions, would be greatly appreciated,
especially if you have experience updating a really outdated collection.

Thanks so much!

Eryn

--

Eryn McKee