[Libs-Or] Weeding Insights

Elena Gleason egleason at cclsd.org
Wed Mar 8 15:13:16 PST 2017

Hi Eryn,

Here's my two cents as someone with significant experience weeding small
public library collections:

If you create a plan to weed a little at a time over the course of the
school year, things will be much less overwhelming. My advice would be
to break down your nonfiction collection into sections to go through
monthly that will cover your whole collection in one year's time (or two
years if one isn't doable for you). If your collection and/or budget are
in real rough shape, you may need to do a "triage" round of weeding
where you weed and replace the worst of the worst before going through
everything again with stricter weeding criteria. If you do your weeding
on a monthly basis, this will hopefully mean you can replace things
gradually in the normal course of your ordering and not find your budget
/too/ strained with a giant list of replacements that all need ordering
at once.

I love Vnuk's /Weeding Handbook/ myself, but some of her recommendations
regarding currency are unrealistic for smaller libraries with limited
budgets, especially those that haven't been weeded in a long while. The
same goes for CREW. As you go through your collection, you'll develop a
sense for what "dated" means for a particular subject at your particular
library. Don't push yourself too hard to conform to guidelines that were
developed for larger, better-funded libraries. Just do what you can with
what you have, and prioritize the areas where currency is of the utmost
importance and where use is heaviest.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you
have any more specific questions.

Elena Gleason
Acquisitions Librarian
Coos Bay Public Library