[Libs-Or] Tech-Talk: WEB TOOL - Collaborate with Dropbox Paper

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Tue Mar 28 11:35:58 PDT 2017

Greetings!

The Tech-Talk e-newsletter for Oregon library staff is distributed weekly via the Libs-OR and TechTalk mailing lists. Please do not forward. Know someone who might be interested in receiving a copy but they’re not on Libs-OR? Have them contact darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> or visit http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/techtalk to subscribe just to the newsletter!

This service is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA), administered by the Oregon State Library. Enjoy!

this light-weight web tool to collaborate with othe
[Tech-Talk]

Want to share Tech-Talk?  Ask first. Contact info at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:info at tech-talk.com>

© 2017 Shared Results International

Brought to you by the Oregon State Library ...
[OR State Library]The Oregon State Library is pleased to provide you with Tech-Talk.com. We encourage you to make the most of this skill-building membership site www.Tech-Talk.com<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001HhCDkYPXSJ2sfZRAenGWdNCIAr3vum0-I1y25QDR-ImO4_tSnfYRJOj7dTh_qfx3_v5GPUmF43x4EQlRB5sblqJ5_arjZITctF2gl_DMqMdQqT3pE5XJEvorXdQpOciVB2nbX1CgHMobtWdg0idhMi9J11dTJtXxFf3kNmPyNag=&c=LhCZSLh8vdforUhc8YjPK4ynSRuksyZhUZvsypNadhlptCYmam_Z4A==&ch=aagqxsl76k-wLnfQolK6o2O3CYoXFpxPu0VOkddtUlNTF8XaZuADKg==>.
Username: ORLIBTECH
Password: ORLIBTECH
(case sensitive)
Contact us by email Darci Hanning, darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us> if you have questions.

[Tech-Talk Video]<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001HhCDkYPXSJ2sfZRAenGWdNCIAr3vum0-I1y25QDR-ImO4_tSnfYRJLYLQjBbGmxbMJryktdLIOZJsThUiAQl0gq1he2ZQ0ZOGqIpoN9ByN5aROb8aAGvJCYPyxpHbRT6ZQih-RZFxijgUrccCn0rfC_BHW7O29uT2Oado6oZEsQ-S0blkyd_5jelcRZ2bDyZt77JQ35TbGr1RxU31f5-71usE7dBRBJkNUFquwzjLvg=&c=LhCZSLh8vdforUhc8YjPK4ynSRuksyZhUZvsypNadhlptCYmam_Z4A==&ch=aagqxsl76k-wLnfQolK6o2O3CYoXFpxPu0VOkddtUlNTF8XaZuADKg==>
This Week's Tech-Talk:  WEB TOOL
1. VIDEO ... Collaborate with Dropbox Paper
2. ARTICLE ... Collaboarate with Dropbox Paper
3. COMMUNICATING ... How to Engage Multi-generations

NOTE: To view the VIDEO, click here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001HhCDkYPXSJ2sfZRAenGWdNCIAr3vum0-I1y25QDR-ImO4_tSnfYRJLYLQjBbGmxbMJryktdLIOZJsThUiAQl0gq1he2ZQ0ZOGqIpoN9ByN5aROb8aAGvJCYPyxpHbRT6ZQih-RZFxijgUrccCn0rfC_BHW7O29uT2Oado6oZEsQ-S0blkyd_5jelcRZ2bDyZt77JQ35TbGr1RxU31f5-71usE7dBRBJkNUFquwzjLvg=&c=LhCZSLh8vdforUhc8YjPK4ynSRuksyZhUZvsypNadhlptCYmam_Z4A==&ch=aagqxsl76k-wLnfQolK6o2O3CYoXFpxPu0VOkddtUlNTF8XaZuADKg==>. Enter the User Name and Password!

Tech-Talk: WEB TOOL - Collaborate with Dropbox Paper
Intermediate
[Collaborate]

Hey, would you like a way to collaborate with colleagues without all of the continuous back-and-forth of email? How about a tool that the Millennials (now about 30% of the workforce) will use well?

Would you like to try an approach that appears to be particularly designed for everyday work activities such as brainstorming ideas together, creating processes for the team and working on projects as a group?

Dropbox has recently launched a tool to compete with Google Docs as the "go-to" source for using "documents" better together ... real time, online collaboration. This new add-on service called "Dropbox Paper" may be worth a try because of its new sleek, contemporary approach. (Need to know more about Dropbox itself? Find the article on Dropbox<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001HhCDkYPXSJ2sfZRAenGWdNCIAr3vum0-I1y25QDR-ImO4_tSnfYRJLYLQjBbGmxbtvB8jUnMbJBVTA_iWGzeLND3oFBpGmow5QQaN0XR7dNXHUxXTFsN9nlMYqHZ9mTiRQHpkFUSnGbGXnIHzLPV8XF9AqwtCf2Ic8eok2Z7sWULjs1YtHWWdsz1bJtaFjxl0G4-nWRGP3dHePpHV8VGP00UJA0E7wt9&c=LhCZSLh8vdforUhc8YjPK4ynSRuksyZhUZvsypNadhlptCYmam_Z4A==&ch=aagqxsl76k-wLnfQolK6o2O3CYoXFpxPu0VOkddtUlNTF8XaZuADKg==> in Tech-Talk.com.)

[Dropbox Paper]Dropbox Paper is an online place to keep "working documents" that you are sharing with others -- so they can see and work on them too. It's different than the function of Dropbox itself which just saves and shares files.

With Paper, you create documents "in the cloud" that you, and others, can work in at the same time. It's not just a tool, but part of the new way we can collaborate -- a whole shift in how we work together.

Dropbox Paper has been designed to be very clean looking so that creativity can flow. It actually looks like a blank screen until you click inside the document or start typing. To get to Paper, you log into your Dropbox account.

As with many leading tools, there is a free version Dropbox and Dropbox Paper that works very well.

Get Started with Paper

[Paper]If you use Dropbox you already have access to Paper! When you log into your account, Paper is listed in the left navigation. Just click on the link to get to the platform.

You'll quickly see example documents in your account that Paper has provided. You can use these to get started, leave them as examples, or delete them.

[Paper Docs]

Things You Can Do

Working in Paper you have many options. We're going to list some of them for you to give you an idea. To see more details on how each feature works in Paper, watch the accompanying VIDEO.

To start a new document,  click on the Create a new doc button in the upper right. To start out, just begin typing in the "blank" area in front of you.

  *   Type in Text. You'll see "Give me a name". Type over that to create the title (It's pre-formatted). "Now write something brilliant" is where you put the content.

     *   When you highlight (or select) any text within the content, you will get a bar of features. You can then add bold, italics, bullets and other options.
     *   For instance, you can use the H1 for a larger header or H2 for a medium header option. NOTE: These header tags also instantly create a table of contents for you so that if your document gets long, you can click to go to a place lower on the page easily.

  *   [http://www.tech-talk.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/TT779DBPaper5.png] Assigning tasks to yourself or others ... and syncing them to your Google calendar.

  *   Comments. Use this feature easily to propose a thought without actually putting it in the text of the document. Then, if you want a person(s) to pay attention to your comment, you can "tag" them by putting an @ sign before their name in the comment so they will receive a notification. Cool!

  *   See the editing attribution and revision history beside text entries so you know who made the contribution to the document.

  *   Create a table to align your ideas in a grid format. NOTE: This isn't for calculating formulas like a spreadsheet; it's the same as a Word table.

  *   Upload a picture. Use the gallery to arrange a variety of images.

  *   Insert a file right into the Paper doc from your Dropbox account.

  *   Paste in a link from YouTube and play the video right in the doc.

  *   Invite others to view and edit the file.

  *   Convert (download) the file as a Word document.

Example of a Paper document using text, a table, and an image.

[Example Paper Do]

Important Differences

  1.  Instead of DRILLING DOWN through a hierarchy of folders, click on a particular view to choose from Recents, Docs or Folders.

  2.  Instead of COPYING a document in Paper, you highlight what's inside and paste it into a new Paper sheet.

  3.  Instead of SAVING a document before you close it, Paper saves it for you continuously.

  4.  Instead of CONVERTING or "saving as" the document when you want to move it outside the Paper world, you download it as a Word document.
[Important Differences]

[Communications]Communications:  Tehnology Tools
How to engage multi-generations

How do you feel about your workplace communications, from the generation gap perspective - Baby Boomers to Millennials? These two styles are very different! Is that something you notice?

Baby Boomers are accustomed to face-to-face meetings, telephone conversations, and voice mail. Millennials are more comfortable with digital technology and online tools. They like communication to be brief, fast and social. Traditionally however, the business style has been lengthier, more deliberate and individually focused.

If we are to actively engage both worlds at work, we need to remember that communications is two way.

Think about incorporating some of the newer collaborative tools like Dropbox Paper (for documents), Asana (for tasks) and social media private groups (for discussions). Doing so can result in increased productivity and higher morale for all.

[Tech-Talk]

CLICK HERE ... FOR THE LIBRARY!<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001HhCDkYPXSJ2sfZRAenGWdNCIAr3vum0-I1y25QDR-ImO4_tSnfYRJJ5K6bZ8n2Gi1klvjiEZ349n759CObz4wWZ6TeqtAVnaVkbxXupPw0-3LRW_IQIxCrEgqH3NHW_y2j2t3BzhHHqeQ9hWM1cOskn1DX5y-jLAcB_AVdZELXo=&c=LhCZSLh8vdforUhc8YjPK4ynSRuksyZhUZvsypNadhlptCYmam_Z4A==&ch=aagqxsl76k-wLnfQolK6o2O3CYoXFpxPu0VOkddtUlNTF8XaZuADKg==>

Your Tech-Talk.com Membership Site!

NOTE: Forgot your user ID?  See your sponsor block at the top. Problems? Contact us at Support at Tech-Talk.com<mailto:Support at Tech-Talk.com>

[mystery man]

Topic Suggestion or Frustration?
Have a problem that we can solve for you?
Just tell us and we'll get you the answer!<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001HhCDkYPXSJ2sfZRAenGWdNCIAr3vum0-I1y25QDR-ImO4_tSnfYRJOj7dTh_qfx3lp-H-MarW-LATQ2KH-_mkAnABEJ0fKlBMgWrStHA8s9pNnidXJ4HUuGo6_FMo4OefwIqf-p0dSSi8U6TBb6CHoo54rRhT6j_laLRCLeF91cMmbeje6vtqyisH20tO0_X&c=LhCZSLh8vdforUhc8YjPK4ynSRuksyZhUZvsypNadhlptCYmam_Z4A==&ch=aagqxsl76k-wLnfQolK6o2O3CYoXFpxPu0VOkddtUlNTF8XaZuADKg==>

Copyright 1996-2017 Shared Results International. Published weekly. Do not forward this issue of Tech-Talk.com without prior permission from Shared Results International. Distribution is limited by contract. Forwarding it to unauthorized recipients constitutes copyright infringement. For information on site licenses or how to include additional recipients, email darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>.