[Libs-Or] Update about Oregon's ESSA Plan

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Thu May 4 09:25:33 PDT 2017

Please pardon the cross-posting.

Hi,

Yesterday, the Oregon Department of Education (ODE) submitted the "Oregon Consolidated State Plan Under the Every Student Succeeds Act" (ESSA). Details are in the press release below.

School libraries are mentioned in several places:

*         p. 18 - participation in community forums

*         p. 24 - librarians are part of the "meaningful stakeholders" group to be included in local planning

*         pp. 40-41 - listed in the indicator section under Well-Rounded Education, a reporting indicator category districts can (must?) address in their continuous improvement plans

*         p. 67 - qualify for professional development under Title II, Part A

*         p. 79 - more about well-rounded education but as it pertains to the System of Performance Management

*         p. 96 - included as group to serve on ODE Content and Assessment Advisory Panels, under section about well-rounded education

*         p. 100 - OSLIS was included under the section called Building Capacity for Educator Learning through Technology

*         p. 124 - qualify for access to tools related to Student Support and Academic Enrichment Grants, under Title IV, Part A

ODE also posted a What's Next document. This stood out to me, although I recommend reading the two-page plan:

*         Starting in spring 2017, ODE will "convene stakeholders to help redesign the school report card, develop criteria and a process to select a nationally recognized assessment for high schools, and revise the Oregon Framework for Educator Evaluations. Details and timelines will be forthcoming."

*         "ESSA removes the requirement for educator evaluations to include a Student Learning and Growth (SLG) goal tied to student performance on state assessments. In May 2017 a small work group...will convene to review the instrument used to calculate educator's summative evaluation scores...and recommend revisions to the Oregon Administrative Rule (OAR) governing educator evaluations in Oregon."

*         "Beginning in the 2017-18 school year, Oregon...must designate a state ombudsperson as the primary point of contact for state education agencies (SEAs), local education agencies (LEAs) and private schools on issues and questions concerning this provision under Title 1A (Improving Basic Programs), Title IIA (Supporting Effective Instruction) and Title VIII (General Provisions)."

http://www.oregon.gov/ode/rules-and-policies/ESSA/Pages/default.aspx

Thanks to everyone who communicated with ODE staff about the value of strong school library programs. It made a difference.

Jen

Jen Maurer, MLS
School Library Consultant
jennifer.maurer at state.or.us<mailto:jennifer.maurer at state.or.us> | 503-378-5011 | www.oregon.gov/osl/ld<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/ld>