[Libs-Or] Identification requirement for immigrants

Ted Smith t.smith at newportlibrary.org
Fri May 12 09:31:45 PDT 2017

We've got a few issues that have recently surfaced:

1.      Our policy requires photo id and proof of residence when registering for a library card

2.      Some of our immigrant citizens are afraid to give us their personal information (ids, addresses, etc.) because of the current immigration climate.  As a result, we have some immigrant families who will not use the library and our services.

How are you all dealing with this?

Change the subject: What do you do with children who want a library card but don't have a parent with them to provide proof of address, id and sign as the responsible party?

We recognize that there are some children who can't bring a parent with them for a variety of reasons - parents are working 2-3 jobs to get by, parents are morons and too lazy to bring the kids.  We want kids to have access to reading and we want kids to be able to take material home.  What's working for you?

Ted Smith, Director
Newport Public Library
Newport, OR 97365
541.574.0600